Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What's the 'industry standard' for delivering logo colour information... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• neeru_m
    Reply to Need help with logo
    neeru_m
    Thanks Guys for your suggestions. I will try to post more work on my logos. But for sure your suggestions wwill be a great help for me....
    Today, 02:54 PM
  • Designia
    Reply to Business Greeting Cards
    Designia
    The difference in the colors and typography is too jarring....
    Today, 02:24 PM
  • Obsidian86
    Reply to Is there a member list here?
    Obsidian86
    That sounds more like a threat than an offering....
    Today, 02:08 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    seamas
    OK, so you are 100% correct in needing another logo.

Have you come up with any ideas of your own?

I would totally avoid the red cross. That is only going to make people think...
    Today, 02:06 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Illustrator CC 2014 Issue
    PrintDriver
    I've sent it in many times.
    That and making the color palette work like InDesign's for color swapping. ie, delete a color and it asks what you want to replace it with.
    The option-drag method...
    Today, 01:59 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the 'industry standard' for delivering logo colour information...

Something I've never really known, but always nagged at the back of my mind. I do 95% web design and 5% print design. I consider myself pretty competent when producing output for print (though do see my other thread!).

I own pantone solid swatches and have designed a few logos and offset-printed documents before with success.

My question is: what is the standard pantone solid colour type that clients expect their EPS / PDF base logo designs to be delivered in? Coated or Uncoated ... or... does is it not really matter?

Thanks again!

i actually never bothered to check this out before, but i think its to simulate what the colour looks like on coated, uncoated or matte stock.
    I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

the choice of colours would be based on how it's being printed....coated or uncoated stock as colours will look different on different stocks
      It's not about the world of design.
      It's about the design of the world.
      Massive Change

Comment

Logos should be created with a standards guide.
        The guide states the Coated colors to use, the Uncoated colors to use, shows a black and white version, includes pms equivilents for any screened tints, shows versions to be used on colored backgrounds, may show horizontal and vertical formats, and includes layout/sizing standards showing negative space to be given a logo on a sign blank. Some people even go so far as to spec actual vinyl numbers and Benjamin Moore paint colors. Just in case.

Some standards are one or two pages. Microsoft's is an inch thick.

Morea may be able to point you to the standards thread that was running quite some time back.

Comment

I remember those standards guides..... when a client would send you one with the floppy in the corner cut pocket with the logos in it. Now all I get is an email with the jpg off the web site.....lol
          It's not about the world of design.
          It's about the design of the world.
          Massive Change

Comment

Not a fax?
            Faxes are the best logo format ever.
            Even better than the scanned business card.

Yes designers used to take pride in building the entire identity package. Some still do. Mostly though, like you say, lucky to get a jpg.
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 11-03-2005, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
              Morea may be able to point you to the standards thread that was running quite some time back.
              this one, PD?

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=6580
              "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

Yep. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the responses to my question!

I do know what coated and uncoated swatches are for, I was wondering which was the best to supply the client with as the 'base' logo which will be part of their core brand. Not a design with a particular paper finish or type in mind.

Good point with the standards guide. I have written a couple of limited standards guides for some logos in the past, and have worked with some brand identities with guides of biblical proportions.

"Yes designers used to take pride in building the entire identity package. Some still do."

However, this is a small business client who previously designed their own logo in powerpoint I believe. It was atrocious. A standards guide and multiple logos would be the ideal solution, but in no way would the client pay for it. So would your pride let you work for free? Not a very canny business move for a freelancer IMO.

Cheers!

Comment

sorry i didn't read your post carefully enough. I actually wouldn't know what i would do in this situation. i'd probly say; i'll design your logo, but until you decide what you're going to use it for then i can't really give you somthing that is going to be high quality in different applications.

I would be really interested if someone comes up with a solution to this prob.

Or you could just give them the logo in PC, PUC, matte, CYMK, RGB, and every other system under the sun

Originally posted by Speaky

designed their own logo in powerpoint I believe.

Cheers!
                    also, lol, wtf?
                    Last edited by cjoe; 11-03-2005, 07:54 AM.
                    I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

I guess I should have said,
                      There was a day when business owners took enough pride in their business to invest in a thoroughly researched process when going through the trouble of creating a mark that will identify their corporate venture to their prospective public.

Sorry.

If given only one choice, I would go with PMS Coated colors. You can't save the client from their folly every day. Hopefully their print vendor will.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X