Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Justo to clarify, I didn't change the colors of the actual logos, per say, as in the 'F' of the facebook logo was never yellow. The logos were all black, which is fine, and the backgrounds to them were...
    Today, 06:36 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    It still leaves me in uncertainty. What I had before, in the creation of this thread, seemed to me to be respectable to their branding. I can understand not having the Facebook logo turned into a gun...
    Today, 06:33 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Confidence, Growth, and a Mentor
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Great.
    Thanks for the bits of info, guys. Helps.
    Today, 06:23 AM
  • seamas
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    seamas
    ^ This...
    Today, 04:55 AM
  • seamas
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    seamas
    I think the weathering shouldn't be part of the logo at all.

If you want to use it as a treatment fine, but in the design phase of the logo, it just isn't a good idea.

Too many...
    Today, 04:52 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP - Catch the pigeon?

howdo all... I'm applying for a new job this week and they are asking for people with a basic knowledge of CTP. Now I've been a graphic designer for 8 years and I've never had to involve CTP ever... is it much different than just sending something to a printer (only it's to a plate instead of a printer)?

I haven't had much experience of colour separations and the like really to be honest. I come up with designs, lay it all out and then either hi-res pdf it or send the quark files to our external printers.. have i a lot to learn?

I do have a basic knowledge of what happens to my file when the printers receive it but nothing too technical...
    The beginning is always today.

Are you applying for a electronic prepress position? Not long ago most jobs were trapped and imposed on film. Switch out the film imagesetter with direct to plate imagesetter (CTP), you eliminate the need for film which is very expensive. If you've worked with film for a printer the switch is a breeze. If you haven't then there's a big learning curve.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

Yes you have a lot to learn, but it's not all that complicated. Both image setters and CTP are really just big expensive glorified printers. There are differences though but if you've been doing design for 8 years there is no reason you couldn't pick it up within a few days as long as there's someone there to show you the ropes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool
        Yes you have a lot to learn, but it's not all that complicated. Both image setters and CTP are really just big expensive glorified printers. There are differences though but if you've been doing design for 8 years there is no reason you couldn't pick it up within a few days as long as there's someone there to show you the ropes.
        The things to learn that can be a bear are trapping, imposing, calibrations, learning what "work and turn, tumble, sheetwise, perfect mean, color bars, center marks, side guides, registration marks, gripper margins etc. Certain press problems such as imposing jobs so that solids are in the inside, near the gripper for better results. Bla Bla Bla
        WYSIWYG

Comment

Are they Mike Tyson's pigeons?
          Less be more.

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
            The things to learn that can be a bear are trapping, imposing, calibrations, learning what "work and turn, tumble, sheetwise, perfect mean, color bars, center marks, side guides, registration marks, gripper margins etc. Certain press problems such as imposing jobs so that solids are in the inside, near the gripper for better results. Bla Bla Bla
            Heh heh, true. I guess I just kind of took all that for granted. I was thinking more along the lines of what you said, going from camera to image setter to CTP, but I already knew all that other stuff.

Spanky, Jimkings right. There is a hell of a lot to learn to get to that point.

Comment

Hey bloke
              Look closely at jimking's avatar. If you end up in electronic prepress (not a position most designers covet) this will be you some day. Prepress is the most stressful position at a commercial printer because everything that comes into the shop has to go thru you.

If it's just a general knowledge of CTP, you should be able to pick it up, like Kool said, with some direction from their prepress guy. Good Luck!
              People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Hey rick, this kind of says it all I think!
                WYSIWYG

Comment

^^That guy looks familiar...God rest his soul! RIP.
                  People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                    Hey rick, this kind of says it all I think!
                    And he was only 27!!!

Comment

It reminds me of me. I get these certain jobs, I brush my brow and say"For crying out loud, not this s@#t again! All the time.
                      WYSIWYG

Comment

cool. Thanks all.
                        It's a graphic design job... well, to be honest, it's a 'mac operator' job but the pay is a lot more than I'm geting now so i don't mind the title really.
                        The ad is asking for people with basic pre-press knowledge and experience of CTP (though not essential). I do have a basic understanding of the process but i have never put it to practice really. I am a very quick learner so i was wondering if i could BS a little and then go on a steep learning curve to get on the level...
                        I see i have quite a few things to learn.
                        Thanks for your help all

Comment

also... we used to keep pigeons too.
                          Those of Tysons are only fancy pigeons... we kept racers (and will again). My dad was quite successful before i was born.. then i came along and he hasn't won a single race since
                          ah well... i always wanted a tumbler so i could pretend to shoot it with my finger

Comment

Ah yes...printing to film. Seems like it was just yesterday I was printing to film and scratching my head figuring out why the M/K plates were coming out completely black on my 2 color pages. Oh wait, it was.

I was the unlucky soul who went from a strictly CTP job to trying (and still learning) the print to film process. It's really cool to understand because the more you learn about the print process, the better you can plan your designs.

But then again I am working with computer equipment from yesteryear...

Mac G3 OS 8.6 (256 megs ram)
                            Quark 4.04

Photoshop 5.5 & 6 (our company shares 5 licenses between 11 - 12 designers)
                            Illustrator 5
                            Distiller 4
                            Extensis Suitcase 8 (?)

I use that to put out at least 6 40-56 page pubs monthly (I'm not whining...)

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X