Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InDesign printing issue

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I just had some business cards printed from a pdf devloped in InDesign. Everything looked okay except for an area that should be solid black in the logo, the color is in 2 tones; black and grey. I thought it was a printing issue at first, but when I called the printer they said it was in my file, visible in the pdf (I didn't see it.) So, they suggested I flatten the file and try again. Doesn't the file get flattened while exporting the pdf? I thought I did that correctly. Also the image in question is an eps file, does that make a difference in the weird color in the print? It should just be solid black. There is a transparent tiff behind the black logo, and it looks like the logo turns from grey to black right at the starting point of the transparent background tiff. I can post an image if this helps. Any advice?

is the image a CMYK or a grayscale?
    "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Cmyk

Comment

hmmm sounds like either flattening or overprinting
        It's not about the world of design.
        It's about the design of the world.
        Massive Change

Comment

CYMK... most likely there is some other color floating in there. check to see if the black is truly 100%
          "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

hmmm sounds like either flattening or overprinting....
            Gimmee a couple hours I'll be able to pull your PDF apart and see. When I get to the office.
            It's not about the world of design.
            It's about the design of the world.
            Massive Change

Comment

Flattening doesn't normally happen in a PDF exported from ID. If you set the output type to Acrobat 4 though, you can (in fact, must) use the flattening controls under the 'Advanced' tab in the Export dbox.

Are you sure that the logo you mentioned is above that transparent TIFF?

Comment

I enlarged the box that the background tiff was in, and this way the edge doesn't intersect the logo. (Where the box started behind the logo is where the color changed.) For some reason I figured to try it and I uploaded the pdf again and the printer said it looked okay. We'll see I guess. I did export with acrobat 4 and set the transparency to high res. The trans. tiff was behind the logo, I'm sure of it. Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

PB - if you still want to look at the pdf I can upload it.

Comment

If you use a solid black in a background make it CMYK; 40C 30M 20Y 100K

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X