X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embossed logo in a PDF file

I've been sending PDF files to the printer for most of my jobs, but I haven't used PDF for anything very complicated. I am currently working on a book cover that will have and embossed logo. In a PDF file, I'm not sure how to incorporate a die line for the area to be embossed?

I would use a magenta stroke with no fill (on a seperate plate) to represent the embossing die. It wouldn't hurt to describe what it should look like (or even do a mock-up in photoshop) and have them call you with any questions.

Comment

If they can work with layered PDF's you can put a dieline layer in there, I think.
      It's not about the world of design.
      It's about the design of the world.
      Massive Change

Comment

I would cut to the chase and send them the raw files. I have know idea what you need to emboss. It could be simple or it can be complicated. As a printer, with dies I want the raw files. We send out our dies to be made and if something goes wrong, well you get the picture.
        WYSIWYG

Comment

I usually just create a new file that only contains the Embossing Die and send both the artwork file and embossing die file.
          or send them a AI file that has them both in there.
          www.standercreative.com

Comment

Personally I would just send them the native files - but if you really wanted to send a pdf couldn't you just create a spot color called "embossing die"?
            Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
            http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

3 easy words... Ask Your Printer!
              I'd much rather have you ask me beforehand. Then you look, I look good, we all win. If you don't call me first, then we're all behind schedule!
              People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

^uh huh!^

Comment

I usually check with the printer with any questions I might have, but I like to hear other ways of doing for reference. At this point, I don't even know who the printer is yet. This is a catalog book cover for a Hungarian company. The files will be printed in Hungary. I kinda figure sending the raw files would be the safest bet, so that's probably what I will do.
                  Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Silence04
                    I usually just create a new file that only contains the Embossing Die and send both the artwork file and embossing die file.
                    or send them a AI file that has them both in there.
                    I agree with this. Just make sure that your files contain bullet/registration marks that line up perfectly. I also agree that you should zip the raw files and send them instead of a PDF, I'd create a mock-up and send them a fairly hi rez JPG showing what it should look like when printed, and lastly I would choose PMS colors or send a color proof via snail mail.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X