Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ChrisDudley
    Reply to Graphic Design tutorials
    ChrisDudley
    Um, I don't think you'll find many tutorials on creating that specific type of look to be honest.

But a place that may interest you is the Crap = Good blog, who are very much into the 'anti...
    Today, 12:39 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    PrintDriver
    Are you applying for a job at these colleges? Or applying as a student.
    For a student,
    Most colleges have admission guidelines, including what you submit in a portfolio. Never seen a resume...
    Today, 10:32 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to My Stonework company logo
    Roth
    Going for the hipster aesthetic is about minimalism, which in itself is about good placement. So you have the basic elements right - Trade Gothic, 'est.'script font, circular holding shape, business emblem....
    Today, 09:29 AM
  • extraordenary
    Comment on First Poster Design
    extraordenary
    Thanks for you're input and I'll do my best to follow the advice you've given me!
    Today, 09:27 AM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to Portfolio advice/criticism
    Lucifer
    Brilliant work. For how long have you been a graphics designer? Did you have a mentor?
    Today, 08:11 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a HUGE problem...

Got a HUGE problem... and I'm on a tight schedule - isn't that the way it always goes?!?!?!?
    Anyway, I have 3 customer supplied Illustrator eps files, all spot colors (no bleeds of course, but I can fix that) that have an image placed in the background. The files they sent contain a psd which they say is FPO, and they want me to place the Photoshop eps in Illustrator. The Photoshop eps is set up with 2 spot color channels. When I try to place the file in Illustrator, it first asked me if I want to use the "linked file's color" or the "document's color", doesn't matter which one I choose, this is the error message I get:
    Linked DCS EPS files interacting with transparency will not print to separations accurately (Host-Based) or at all (In-RIP).
    Once placed, the image looks all distorted.
    Just for giggles, I brought the eps image into Quark (the spot colors showed up in my color palette) and made a pdf and ran it through the rip just to see what I would end up with... you guessed it, it came through as CMYK, not spot colors.
    I've about lost all patience with these idiots. Normally I wouldn't be quite this upset, with the usual "know's nothing about printing customer", this would be understandable, but this job is from a pretty big sized company that ought to know better. I'm pretty sure there is NO WAY to fix this, but I may be wrong...
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Stress: The confusion created when one’s mind overrides the body’s basic desire to choke the living crap out of some a-hole who desperately deserves it!

Try this thread:
    http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...t=multichannel
    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

did you seperate the colors in the PDF... tell quark to do that. so when you go to PDF check sperations.. it should produce x amount of pages (one per plate)
      "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Okay, I tried printing separations out of Quark and I ended up with 6 pages as I thought I would CMYK (all blank), plus 2 spot colors (the CMYK channels are there in the Photoshop eps file as well, but they're blank - should they maybe not be there?). But I still have to figure out how I'm going to place this stupid image in Illustrator and get everything to work so I can proof it and get it on press.
        Stress: The confusion created when one’s mind overrides the body’s basic desire to choke the living crap out of some a-hole who desperately deserves it!

Comment

Can you place the illy file into Quack on top of the PSD file?
          People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

^^making sure, of course, that your color names match exactly...CVC=CVC, CV=CV, etc.
            People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

tell quark not to print those pages. I think you can click them off (I haven't used quark in a bit, but I don't think that is something they could change).
              "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

Rickself - I placed the illy file, with the image turned off, on top of the Photoshop eps in Quirk and output 2 pdf's one with separations and one composite, all the seps showed up okay on the separated pdf, but won't do me much good as I have to get this thing trapped (it's going on the flexo press). When I ran the composite through the rip the image turned to CMYK again. I'm beating my head against the wall here. I like to think of myself as someone who knows her shit, but I'm at a total loss with this one!

Comment

OK, have you tried this trick? Use the 4 process channels in PSD, changing the Illy spot colors to correspond with the 2 channels you use from PSD? Use, for instance, Cyan and Magenta in PSD, and call your Illy spot colors Cyan and Magenta?

Comment

I could try that I guess, I can proof it as is, they'll never know the difference anyway, I've done that several times in the past on other jobs, nothing like this of course, but I've done it. I'm going to call there in a few minutes and talk to this "so called know-it-all" and see what she tells me... I'll keep you posted. We might just all learn a new trick, but I've got my doubts.

Comment

No one answered, I'm assuming they're all gone for the day.
                      As someone, somewhere alongs the lines once told me at the end of a day where we hadn't gotten anywhere: I'm sorry but we're experiencing technical difficulties, please stay tuned, as your regularly scheduled programming will continue tomorrow.
                      Have a great night guys & thanks for all the info!
                      a.

Comment

Please let us know how it turns out and what you did...
                        i am having the same issue and i would love to know how this is done correctly.
                        www.standercreative.com

Comment

We have the same problem - our work-around that somone else suggested is too place the DCS file in Quark or Indesign. I will keep the image in Illus. as a FPO on a seperate Layer - place the Illus. file in my layout program - then place the DCS 2 file in the application using the FPO image for reference. Once sized and placed correct - I will go turn off the FPO layer in Illus. and save.

On our ps rip we have to set up a path too where the ps file can locate the DCS 2 file and I think with the image being placed in Illustrator and then put in a layout program it is too many layers for the rip to find the DCS 2 file.

Comment

DOZER - that sounds about right. More than likely, that's what I'll end up doing. I've yet to hear back from the person who created this that seems to think it'll work. I'm thinking I probably won't find out anything until early next week, but I'll keep you all posted.
                            Hope everyone has a great weekend!
                            a.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                            Working...
                            X