Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Lucifer
    Reply to Need color choice help on logo design...
    Lucifer
    What does this company do?
    Today, 04:52 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    Roth
    You're in danger of having too many elements. If you're going to make something of the W being different, make it noticeably different (I assumed the Woodruff was in the W font, and took me a while to...
    Today, 04:46 AM
  • jwood
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    jwood
    Thanks for the thoughts and questions. I had several tries with the same font but it always looked too plain. The different fonts seemed to help the logo to stand out but still look professional. I'll...
    Today, 04:31 AM
  • EmberMike
    Reply to The End of Adobe Creative Suite is upon us...Creative Cloud shift
    EmberMike
    Resurrecting an oldie here...

I've been a CS6 holdout but now I'm at a point where I need to buy After Effects and I can't find a reasonable price on it anywhere. My upgrade to CC may be...
    Today, 03:58 AM
  • B
    Comment on Hey guys, I'm wondering which domain name sounds better.
    B
    You might try always spelling it out with mixed case, as in MichelleBethDean.com. Domain names aren't case sensitive, so it'll work with no problem. It'll also eliminate any confusion over what it says...
    Today, 02:00 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Time and Speed Question

Imagesetter: 8 up
    RIP: Plentium 4 512MB

It took 30 mins for a 22MB PDF file to make one film
    This 22MB file consist of 8 TIFF that was outputed by Quark.

Quark ---> Print as file (.PS) ----> Sent to distiller -----> PDF

I tried print as file (.eps)

The result when outputting film is the same time.

My question is ... what determines the speed of the output? What can I do to make it faster??? Other than buying a new imagesetter or going CTP...

The rip software is Plentium4 with 512mb? What kind of imagesetter? Is it taking awhile to rip the file or image to film? Has it always been this slow? First off, 512mb may not be enough. You may need at least a gig. Also, how old is the software and hardware?
    WYSIWYG

Comment

Although that might be a factor.......but I really wanted to know...if I RIP 8 pages....and the difference of RIPing 2 times 4 Pages.......the time should mount up to equally the same ...right?

Comment

Do you mean ripping 8pgs at once opposed to ripping 4pgs twice? If that's the case it may take the 4pgs longer because it has to gather and rip the information twice.
        WYSIWYG

Comment

I meant 8 different pages....

But the result is oddly different.....it only took 3 minutes to output one colour on a 4pg setup...

While it took 30 mins to output one colour on a 8pg setup....

Comment

The only thing I can think of is it's thinking or hanging up on art such as Illustrator or Photoshop files. If that's the case, do a test and remove the art and rip it to see if it runs faster.
            Last edited by jimking; 12-02-2005, 10:27 PM.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

luckily my company have 2 imagesetter and I was able to test on the file...

RIP 1 >> 7min/film >> I consider this normal
              RIP 2 >> 20min/film >> this is not good

Conclusion: Apperently it is not the file that is causing the problem, but something wrong with the RIP or the imagesetter....

Now the trick is that it only happens on the PS files that were created in MAC. The EPS files created in InDesign PC are fine. So what exactly could the problem be???

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                The only thing I can think of is it's thinking or hanging up on art such as Illustrator or Photoshop files. If that's the case, do a test and remove the art and rip it to see if it runs faster.
                Did you try above? Do you have unflattened photoshop files placed in Quark maybe? Indesign excepts layered files (unflattened photoshop files) and AI files from Illy but Quark can be a problem.
                WYSIWYG

Comment

It is not so much as to what the file is RIPPING.....cuz the 2 RIP test I did proves just that. Either way, they should RIP the film at about the same time given a min or 2 with adjustments. But a 7 min compare to 20 mins is just not right.

Besides, the files that are in Quark are all flattened TIFF files. Nothing fancy, nothing special.

Comment

Originally posted by icetea1980
                    luckily my company have 2 imagesetter and I was able to test on the file...

RIP 1 >> 7min/film >> I consider this normal
                    RIP 2 >> 20min/film >> this is not good

Conclusion: Apperently it is not the file that is causing the problem, but something wrong with the RIP or the imagesetter....

Now the trick is that it only happens on the PS files that were created in MAC. The EPS files created in InDesign PC are fine. So what exactly could the problem be???
                    Do you have stand alone rips (software) or built in rips (hardware) on your imagesetters? Did you try switching those files for each imagesetter or rip?
                    WYSIWYG

Comment

go through file and make sure file is set up correctly is the first thing that should be done

Comment

They are standalone rips Navagator 6.0 on both computers. Just that RIP 1 is an older machine, that's why it takes 7 min. Otherwise normally, for the newer RIP 2, it only takes 3 mins.

I tried save PS file on 2 rips and came with the 7min and 20min result respectively.

Comment

ROCKEM>> The files are setup correctly, nothing fancy or special, just 8 picture boxes with CMYK TIFF in each of them. It ripped perfectly on RIP 1, it's a RIP 2 problem. I just can't find out what problem it is.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                          Working...
                          X