Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runny print job?

I have just got 40k flyers back from the printer (who's new to us) and they have'nt sealed them. They are kicking off saying they never do and that we should lump it... They are full on multi colour jobs so they smudge something mental when you just hold em!

Am I mad or is it not normal to seal jobs and add in on the cost? If am in the wrong cool and so be it but its just every job I have ever done (loads) I cannot recall this happening.
    jumpforward

Sue them!!!!!!

Comment

what sort of stock were they printed on?

I've never heard of such a thing.
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

yeah, sounds to me like they didn't use any drying agents... thats a tough one.
        www.standercreative.com

Comment

is it like a "newsprint" effect? Or like the powdery stuff that rubs off when you print on a laser printer and the toner didn't set up properly?

I've never encountered that with a printing press.

Comment

And you say that they added in the cost? Definitely work looking into? I hear the sound of a lawyers phone ringing sometime in the near future.
            Former GD. Current Photographer
            http://ascottmccauley.com/

Comment

I don't necessarily think you need to go that far.

When I worked at the print shop here, any time a customer would complain (enough) about a job, we would reprint it at no cost. Or if it was OBVIOUSLY the customers fault, we would reprint it at half price.

I think that if you threaten to pull your business, you'll get the job re-done. I don't know if I would use the printer again after doing that, though.

Comment

Something sounds strange. Could it be that to varnish the job it would cost extra? Did not want to pay for varnish and now the job is smearing?
                WYSIWYG

Comment

Varnish....hmmmm some offer it for free, but it's up to the client to make sure the job will be coated. One of those pesky production questions, you know? You don't ask, you're gonna get bitten. However, I think the printer shouldn't be handing smudging work either.
                  It's not about the world of design.
                  It's about the design of the world.
                  Massive Change

Comment

but even if it isn't varnished (which did cost extra where I worked) if it dried properly, why would it smear?

Also, when we would see an order come in that really SHOULD be varnished, we would let the customer know what could happen before running the job so they couldn't blame us if they didn't like it afterwards. Just good old CYA.

Comment

Sounds like a complete mess of a job, no drying agents, offset powders, nuthin'.
                      Bad printer.....
                      It's not about the world of design.
                      It's about the design of the world.
                      Massive Change

Comment

Something isn't right. Some shops do charge for varnish, labor and materials are envolved. Some don't because they might end up eating the job. I've been involved with clients that were advised to do certain things to avoid problems with the job that would have cost extra. To save money, they refused to take our advise and presto! Guess what happens. Sonsharico, if none of this is an issue then bounce the job! The final job should be a dry printed piece not a wet one.
                        WYSIWYG

Comment

Lack of varnish wouldn't cause "smearing"...it would simply allow the ink to wear off faster from friction, but really only if it were on a gloss stock. Unvarnished print jobs on matte and semigloss don't wear off from friction very easily...and if they do at all it takes a lot of rubbing/friction and more time. I hear the word "smearing" and I think wet or uncured ink. It sounds like a print shop error, unless we aren't getting the whole story.

Comment

Sounds like uncooked toner.
                            Or ink run on laser paper... Which is fun by the way. New art form.

Comment

It could be uncooked toner - we have been having that problem when we try to run on cold cardstock - But 40K brochures is kind of a large run for digital, it probably would have been a lot cheaper offset.
                              Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                              http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X