Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Logo design for Game Developer
    PrintDriver
    Presto, I'm curious where you purchased the dragon art.
    Was it here:
    http://www.123rf.com/photo_649283_bl...yang-sign.html

Skribe, what do you think the chances are that your...
    Today, 07:37 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Logo design for Game Developer
    kemingMatters
    Presto, it is forum policy not to discuss pricing. Pricing can vary depending on where you are located and the experience of the person you ask. One way to pay what you consider is a fair price is to...
    Today, 07:10 PM
  • KitchWitch
    KitchWitch
    In addition to pricing discussions being against the forum rules, there's no way to answer that. Pricing varies from designer to designer and region to region. We have a classified section where you can...
    Today, 07:09 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Opinions needed.
    kemingMatters
    No problem, I just wanted to clear the water as for some reason most people think that any image created on a computer is graphic design. Graphic design is deliberately communicating a universal message...
    Today, 06:53 PM
  • PrestoArts
    PrestoArts
    Good point by you! I will try myself. How much would it cost to have someone designs it for me if I can't pull it off myself? Ball park ... Or is there a place I can get bids to do the design?
    Today, 06:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing a gradient fill

I generally don't use gradients in my work, but I'm thinking about using the for the background on a catalog cover. It's a blue gray fade into almost white. I'm wondering what's troubles I could run into during printing. Right now, I am using a 4C gradient, but could possibly change it to be a spot color. I'm concerned about banding and things like that. Thoughts? Advice?
    Thanks!

My advise is to create your gradient in Illustrator not Photoshop. All the gradient problems I've had in past in my shop have been Photoshop gradients not Illustrator. Also, I've not had problems with Quark or Indesign gradients. If you create your gradient in Photoshop then I would make it spot colors instead of cmyk.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

Thanks. It is in Illustrator at the moment, just wondering if I stand decent chance of still getting banding. I think I read somewhere once, that you caan create a gradient in photoshop, but to eliminate the banding issues, you should add a gaussian blur to the gradient. Not sure if that's better than Illustrator or not.

Comment

Your gradient should be ok in Illustrator. Unless the printer has some serious limitations I see no problem. Not all gradients in PS band. My experience has been certain color combonations have caused the banding. For example I had a job that contained several PS 4/c red and yellow gradients. The Cyan in the red was causing most of the banding but not all. What I did to fix it is to convert the file into lab color space and add a small amount of noise in channel A, which masks the banding. You can add a blur but on the printers end it would be a blurry banding file. my thinking is the banding is caused by the limitations of the imagesetter and resolution in most cases but not all. I think your Illustrator file is the best choice. Imagesetters seem to handle vector gradients better than raster.
        WYSIWYG

Comment

Great information. I appreciate the help jimking. I'll talk to the printer, of course, but I'll plan on staying with Illustrator for the gradient.

Comment

Illustrator gradients, depending on the color combo, are usually ok at small sizes. Like under 10".

For large stuff, the steps tend to become more apparent and the transition less smooth so we have to recreate in Photoshop ($), and add noise to get them to print smooth.

Ask your printer. You may not want to go completely to 0% on your grade because much below 10% isn't visible anyway.

V V V V V V V V

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X