Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Today, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Today, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Today, 08:29 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on RIP: The Necrology Thread
    <b>
    As just a listener of music, his work with Cream, along with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, have been among my most favorite pieces of music since I was just a kid. Somehow it always manages to surprise...
    Today, 07:25 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    <b>
    I think a lot depends on what one's definition of a logo might be. Many beginners and amateurs tend to make logos that are really just small, complicated illustrations. Most professionals, on the other...
    Today, 06:47 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .bmp for print?

I'm modifying an existing ad by changing a couple of pics. A new pic the client sent is a .bmp at 72dpi...I looked at the other pics and a couple of them are .bmp also. The pics looked fine when printed previously, so is it ok putting bitmaps in a document for printing if they are low res? I'm using Quark.

Thanks

Resave them as tiffs or eps and watch to make sure they do not move when updating the link. It's usually not good when graphics are lores but it depends on the client's wishes, let them know about it. Also even if they're lores, how small or large are they going to be in Quark? If they are placed at 20% you should be ok. If they're placed at 200% it's going to look very bad.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

Bitmaps are unsuitable for most print applications and with resolutions that low I would Imagine they will look pretty bad. That low resoltuion leads me to believe they were copied and pasted from a website. I get this all the time and the logos almost always have to be redrawn using a program such as Illustrator.
      How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

the pics are very small in a small ad...I just finished the ad and will print it out to check it out. I assume bitmap is not recommended but still do-able since they were in the old ad which went to print?

Comment

in a pinch if you're scaling them down you can get away with it, depending on your final line screen. NOT a best practice by any stretch.
          It's not about the world of design.
          It's about the design of the world.
          Massive Change

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTheVike
            the pics are very small in a small ad...I just finished the ad and will print it out to check it out. I assume bitmap is not recommended but still do-able since they were in the old ad which went to print?
            You should resave them as tiffs or eps. Just watch for movement when relinking.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X