Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Color swatch assistance
    KitchWitch
    Hi Platinumaa and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
    Today, 03:36 PM
  • The01printer
    Reply to Bedroom Adobe
    The01printer
    Every time I get on here I realize how much I don't know about design! There are some really smart cookies on here and I learn a lot by reading all the posts! No one person will ever know it all and that...
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Friday!!
    Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Friday Gang!!

No power for a while this morning and feeling like a truck hit me the past couple days with my sinus issues ... makes for a not so creative Kat

Enjoy
    Today, 03:29 PM
  • terrytruett
    Reply to Illustrator Gradient Issue Help
    terrytruett
    You guys rock! Customer provided art for me to finish. Never did check to see color mode, Me bad. Changed all to rgb and all is well with the world!

THANKS!!!!!!

Thanks...
    Today, 02:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to lolanimals
    KitchWitch
    Today, 02:18 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with illustrator transparency?

I've been working on a 2 color piece (laid out in Quark, using illustrator eps in background.) Brought the eps in (transparency is about 30%), but when I made my pdf, the eps showed up all blocky with patches of the image missing. any idea why this might happen and can I fix it? I tried recreating it, but to no avail, same results.
    “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Are you postscripting from Quirk, then distilling? What version of Acrobat? I recall reading here somewhere in the past about the version of pdf you're creating. Try the different pre-set pdf options to get the right transparency...it will come.
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Acrobat 5.0. I print directly out of Quark. (print to file using distiller) when you say pre-set pdf options what do you mean? Are you talking about the options in the print dialog box? Or are you talking about preferences within acrobat or distiller?
      “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Distiller has Print Quality, Press Quality, PDFX1a, Standard. PDFX1a is a standard for printing but file size may be larger than what you're looking for if small file size is the desired result.
        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

I did try printing at press quality, didn't work. I only seem to have ebook, press, print and screen options. I don't have PDFX1a,

Comment

If those are your choices, then you have Distiller 5. Other than that, can't help as I don't use Quark. It's all so much easier to make PDFs in InDesign. And Illustrator files can stay as AI files when placed. But just a thought - is there any way when you print to postscript that you have to specify the image quality used? Maybe just the preview is being used in the PDF - is there some sort of 'use all image data' button?

Comment

No, there isn't...and my settings are the same as always. Output is normal, OPI is normal. I ended up scrapping this project and going in a different direction, but I still would like to know why this happened, as I would like to do this same idea on another project. Usually, when we do 2 color jobs here we use illy eps, but I know that .dsc might work. Anyone got any ideas on how to make those work? Our rip has some issues, though, so I am not even sure that that would work.

Comment

kepp your vector work saved, but save an eps and then bring it into photoshop save the file and bring that into quark. Illy transparecy issue can run smoothly or cause major problems on the press. Easiest and safest to rasterize the illy work

THis all depends on the complexity o fthe image I would have to see it before making a call

Comment

Can't use a photoshop tiff or eps. This is a 2 color job. I know there is a way to save the spot colors by saving a .dcs, but I don't know enough about that...Any ideas?

Comment

flatten the tranparency in the eps from illy.... ps level 1.
                    As it's the background piece it doesn't REALLY need to be transparent in the final eps does it?
                    Quark won't support transparency and will screw it up, thus the flattening

Flatten the eps update in Quirk re-postscript and distill again.
                    Last edited by PersonasBinar; 01-03-2006, 06:24 PM.
                    It's not about the world of design.
                    It's about the design of the world.
                    Massive Change

Comment

I've never seen a DCS file made from Illustrator unless it is a new feature. I've only worked with photoshop DCS files. I've never seen one produce a spot color, I don't think it's possible.
                      WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X