Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    KitchWitch
    Hi Vidal and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 03:36 PM
  • VIDAL
    Reply to 14 secrets Designers will never tell you.
    VIDAL
    Print - I'm going to give you a design-gift for Christmas - plastered with ComicSans - not because I don't like you, but because I believe in equality for all font faces and designers - even Papyrus....
    Today, 03:30 PM
  • VIDAL
    Reply to 48 brand manuals
    VIDAL
    Heineken was one of my favorites - I was pretty unimpressed with BMW's Guidelines, ya know, being German und all!

Guten Nacht....
    Today, 03:02 PM
  • VIDAL
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    VIDAL
    I think Roth and TimDojo have considerably awesome critique's on your piece but I want to be a bit more direct and I might sound harsh.

Quite simply, lose your name to the right and consider...
    Today, 02:56 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to 14 secrets Designers will never tell you.
    PrintDriver
    I particularly like the reformatting of email.
    Like any designer would willingly choose Comic Sans...well... unless they didn't like the email sender maybe....
    Today, 02:55 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining a CTP system

(I usually use a different name but for now I feel safer with this one) I have just recently started a new job and was shown how to clean our CTP system recently by my boss (who was shown how to do it only once himself). It was a complete and utter shambles, no protective gear, wrestling with and partially destroying rollers etc... and lets just say that we are now having major problems with our plates (visible foggy lines on solid blocks of colour at the same locations on our plates (our plates go through the device short edge first...the lines go from long edge to long edge if this helps)...

Having tested for press problems, or artwork problems, the press operator and myself have determined that it has something to do with the way the CTP system was cleaned. (we think the bit where washing-up liquid was used is the problem!(not my idea))...the boss doesn't agree though and thinks its a press problem...and despite the press operator advising we get it sorted now...and me explaining this to my boss...I still have to output plates regardless.

What worries me is that a) I am not really clued up on the mechanics of CTP devices (and the one we use is a bit of a behemoth) so I don't know how to fix it but b) more importantly in 2 weeks time it needs to be maintained again (by myself and another designer) and I would like to be able to go up to my boss and present him with some facts and a list of items I need before the same mistake is made twice!..really need some better knowledge of how these things (in general) should be maintained.

I have had a look on google...and came up with hundreds of sites that bear little resemblance to what I asked for...checked out the afga website which again has not helped...can anyone offer their wisdom? or direct me to some helpful sites (sorry I don't have the actual model name as I am away from work as I type this)
    Last edited by pythagoras181; 01-05-2006, 07:37 PM.

Sounds rather messy, sorry

We have an AGFA system, Apogee, Galileo. We were told by AGFA to only use Simple Green on the processor rollers and it does indeed do the best job.

I suggest, if you haven't tried it yet, prepressforums.com. It is more of an in-depth forum for prepress and printers. There are a few of us here on GDF that cross-over to that one also. Albeit they aren't nearly as fun as the bunch here.

Good luck, AGFA hasn't been the best support we've found also.
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Cheers for that one Rickself! will check it out

edit...cool site (have to wait a bit before I can post though)
      Last edited by pythagoras181; 01-05-2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Just about all CTP systems are going to have a little different cleanup, here we are on our second processor (Fuji) and the cleanup on it is alot different than the first system (Western Litho). Might I suggest getting your service rep for your system in and take a look at your processor then he can give you the proper cleanup procedure.

Comment

probably no help at all, but here is another thread that references CTP
          http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=12099
          "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

thanks for the replies dudes...as regards to the service rep...it is highly unlikely that my boss would pay for the services of someone qualified to show us the correct operation of the machine ...but after two days of ranting and raving the press operator has discovered that the problems he is having are actually *press* problems...the test he showed me at first was with a heavily inked (different) plate and ran with only one sheet...he was a bit more thorough this morning though and discovered that my *bad* plates actually started off as good plates!...which is a *slight* relief to me but I still have 2 weeks time to worry about.
            Last edited by pythagoras181; 01-06-2006, 10:41 PM.

Comment

ya know, my boss has been a printer since the Gutenburg Bible and it WILL and ALWAYS WILL be a prepress problem, even if the pressman has the plate hanging half-cocked and the wrong paper loaded up.
              People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

lol!...I hear ya

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                Working...
                X