X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images...linked or embedded...

When saving an Illustrator file out for production that contains images, I ALWAYS link my images (as opposed to embedding them). Is this the best way to do it?...or do any of you pre-press guys prefer the files embedded? I always thought everyone liked them linked so they can edit the images if necessary.

I'm just curious if I've been doing this right or wrong. No printer has ever complained about my files, but I'm just curious if there is a preferred way.

Thanks everyone.
    tmooregraphics
    Horsepower For Your Business!
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

Yes you are doing it the right way. Link not embed.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

I don't even know how to do either one. How do you set it up for link or embed. If you link then you have to include the photo with correct? Embed has it included, but has a larger filesize, but it seems to cause jim headaches.
      Less be more.

Comment

I guess if I have photos and text I use indesign.
        Less be more.

Comment

I always link as well for 2 reasons.

1. embedding cause the file size to soar and
          2. if you're working on a large trade show booth you can use FPO images (very low res) for layout with the same name as your high-res file and then when you're sending it to press just send them the high-res images which will "automatically" re-link where your FPOs were

That's assuming that your low res FPOs are the same color space and "dimensions".

At least I've found that valuable.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Nevermind, I found it. On CS2 it's on the top when you place an image.
            Less be more.

Comment

OPI. Also, you never know what kind of file someone has embeded. RGB, Index, Lab, metafile etc. It's annoying. I don't like Pagemaker for the same reason including the gigantic file sizes. I always like to see every graphic in a job before I send it through our workflow. Catch the crap at the beginning not at the end.
              Last edited by jimking; 01-06-2006, 08:48 PM.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

Link not embed. I used to be cubemate with the prepress person at our print shop and I learned a lot through osmosis. She used to groan when layouts came in Illustrator for print jobs. Some applications, like packaging should be set up in Illustrator but for print use Illustrator for vector graphics, Photoshop for photos & screened graphics and InDesign or Quark to layout the project.

She especially disliked when people laid out business cards in Illustrator on a 8.5 x 11 document page with crop marks showing the edges of card. Just create them in Quark or InDesign with the page size the size of the cards. Do you agree Jim?

Comment

Yes I do agree. In the early days about 50% of out clients laid all their work in Illy including publications. It was a bear to deal with. Also at that time the print dialog box from Illy was a pain in the butt. When I get files like that now I just pop them into Quark or Indy and fly away. Of course back then we could have placed those Illy files in Quark but everything moved so slow then that it would take all day to do it. Hell, some jobs took all night to rip.
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

I think all design schools should have design students intern or job shadow in prepress for a couple of weeks before they graduate. This stuff just isn't taught in schools.

Comment

For some a couple of years!
                      WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by blewis64
                        I think all design schools should have design students intern or job shadow in prepress for a couple of weeks before they graduate. This stuff just isn't taught in schools.
                        THAT is MY QOTW!
                        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

THAT is MY QOTW!
                          Quote of the Decade... why are people still saying the same old thing?
                          Maybe its the teachers who need the pre-press training.

Something weird happens inside when you hear a graphic design graduate say, "Well it looked OK on the screen" and an underpaid keyboard jockey then begins to explain rgb/cmyk, rips, negs, plates while their eyes glaze over.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X