Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Novauri
    Reply to [Hiring] Web, Print, and Video Graphic Designer for Bitcoin Service
    Novauri
    This position has been filled. Thank you for your interest in Novauri!
    Yesterday, 11:46 PM
  • Lust3rX
    Adobe Illustrator SVG Transparency/Knockout Problem
    Lust3rX
    Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and I'm a junior designer at a company called Timewyse.
    I'm currently working on some icons for professions and I need to convert everything to .svg format.
    I have...
    Yesterday, 10:28 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Creative Suite and upgrading
    <b>
    It's in Adobe's interests to ensure that their new software will open files from older versions. If their new software didn't do this, it would be a disincentive for people to upgrade since it would mean...
    Yesterday, 10:10 PM
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo
    We get files from all versions in all the time. Got an Illustrator 8 file the other day. Never had a problem updating them to CS6.
    Yesterday, 08:52 PM
  • salsa
    salsa
    I upgraded from CS2 to CS6 a year ago and haven't had any problems. I mostly use ID and AI though, so I can't speak to PS.

Are you staying on the same computer? Getting a new one? That might...
    Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiff in bitmap mode instead of CMYK..ok for print?

I made a newb mistake whe ncreating ads at my internship and assumed the files given to me were cmyk. I'm ging back and double checking everything. I noticed there were a couple logos in tiff format, and when I opened them back up it says they are in Bitmap mode instead of CMYK...If I convert to CMYK I'll lose my transparent background correct? is it ok to leave it in Bitmap mode? Thanks

Should be fine. As long as the color of the graphic defined in your layout program is one of the inks being used on press - that's where color is defined in a bitmap tiff image.

Hey! Where's all those prepress experts?

Comment

When converting an image to bitmap mode the image needs to be greyscale first. Bitmap is always black. Sinse it's a tiff you can color it in your layout program. Here's the problem--to retain your transparency you need to save it as a eps and click on the "transparent whites", but you can't color it in your layout program. Having not seen your graphic I would convert to cmyk (make it the color you want) and use a clipping path to create your transparency.
      WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by blewis64
        Should be fine. As long as the color of the graphic defined in your layout program is one of the inks being used on press - that's where color is defined in a bitmap tiff image.

Hey! Where's all those prepress experts?
        Thanks, its just white so hopefully it will be ok

Comment

If nothing is in fact transparent then (show through underneath the image) just color it in your page builder. Printers can use colored bitmaped images.
          WYSIWYG

Comment

If you have line art (meaning no gradients or screens) and the image is only one color then it should ALWAYS be in bitmap mode at atleast 600 dpi. You can then leave it black or color it in what ever program you are placing it into. Using a logo in bitmap mode makes for a much cleaner print out as apposed to greyscale or cmyk which will leave a ghosting edge around the whole image.

Comment

Bitmap mode is fine as long as properly coloured in the layout.
              A copy of Flightcheck might be of assistance.
              It's not about the world of design.
              It's about the design of the world.
              Massive Change

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X