Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRT vs. LCD for Print Design!?

Hello.

Recently been in the market for a new display as my Sony G520 (21" CRT) is about to go up.

I'm a graphic designer of 12 years and have ONLY used CRT monitors for my work. I've been questioning whether to get a new Apple 23" Cinema display vs. a new .20 dot pinch CRT.

The cost is obvious a factor as a CRT is around $430 and the Cinema display is around $1300. But more importantly than ANYTHING ELSE is the ability to see the FINEST of DETAILS and COLOR ACCURACY FOR PRESS PRINTED MATERIAL ON SCREEN!! I can'ty stress that enough because anybody I talk to who is an LCD advocate is NOT in the same feild as I am and really does not have the need for color accurancy or detail as I do in the graphics feild.

So PLEASE... any designers out there who are in the same boat... which is the better option. The Apple 23" display... or a tried and proven CRT?

Thanks.

I purchased CRT because of color for printing.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

What was the specifics behind it? Did you compare the two (i.e. do some tests to see which was more accurate). What's the reasoning behind it?

I want to stay away from the stigma that 'I've used CRT all my life and I'm stubborn and won't change'... because really I think that's not a great attitude. Not saying you are. But I myself have that attitude and I want to let the facts lead me to the right decision as opposed to lack of enthusiasm to get with the times.

My concerns are:

a.) not sure that LCD's (even Apple's wonderful cinema displays) can give me the level of detail I can get with a CRT.

b.) not sure that LCD's (even Apple's wonderful cinema displays) can give me the level of color accuracy I can get with a CRT.

My eyes hurt me. I want to throw away my CRT and get a nice LCD that will help keep me away from needing glasses for a couple more years... but I cannot convince myself to get a CRT because of my needs as a designer for on-screen fine detail and color accuracy for printed peices.

Comment

... and is it me... or does the fonts on an LCD looked more jagged? That's annoying in its own right!

Comment

Are you using any kind of color correcting/monitor calibrating tools, such as Monaco or something? that might also be something you want to consider.
          ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

No. But standard Quark presets have done me justice without having to do that calibration soft mess. From App to App it would need to be calibrated as Adobe soft outputs different than Quark per say.

I know I could go the Apple ColorSync route... but really... that's just not a means I'm willing to look into because our computers are constatly being updated. Albeit software or hardware. To keep up with the latest calibration settings from one to another or Sync settings, etc. would be a nightmare!

Plus, I'm more concerned with the level of detail on screen than color-to-color output from screen to printer.

If I can't see every shade and shape of a cloud while I'm photoshoping it... how can I gripe about the color-to-color on a print out? I need to see DETAILS.

From what other designers have told me... LCD loses on-screen details that ONLY show up on CRT's. I guess I'm wondering if that's the truth or a bias opinion?
            Last edited by BEatMaKeR; 01-17-2006, 04:46 PM.

Comment

What I don't like about LCD's is that if you look at them at the wrong angle, the color is off. Gotta be straight on. Certain CRT's are better for Spyder-type color correction than others. You have to be able to tweak the monitor profile if you want good color.

Comment

LCD's are pretty but not accurate for this line of work.
                Hey, Jim, you're all over these this morning! Extra time now that the Redskins are out, eh? Sorry, I'm in a gloating kinda way! I'll get over it one way or the other after this weekend.
                People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by rickself
                  LCD's are pretty but not accurate for this line of work.
                  Hey, Jim, you're all over these this morning! Extra time now that the Redskins are out, eh? Sorry, I'm in a gloating kinda way! I'll get over it one way or the other after this weekend.
                  BA HUMBUG!! I knew that if the Skin's offense played flat like they did in Tampa that they'd lose. However, they had a good year and they at least made it to the playoffs.
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

Yeah, you practically have to be dead on in order to get an accurate preview. I can't count how many times in the past I've seen something I've done on an LCD screen only to view it on the CRT's at school and it's darker/muddier.

Jim, you sound like me talking about the Bears. Except in their playoff game, the offense (oddly) did pretty good and the defense (oddly) choked.

Comment

Originally posted by reuber1
                      Yeah, you practically have to be dead on in order to get an accurate preview. I can't count how many times in the past I've seen something I've done on an LCD screen only to view it on the CRT's at school and it's darker/muddier.

Jim, you sound like me talking about the Bears. Except in their playoff game, the offense (oddly) did pretty good and the defense (oddly) choked.
                      I like da Bears. I was hoping that the Skins would play them in the NFC championship game. Hell, the Cults lost, so you never know what's going to happen.
                      WYSIWYG

Comment

lol.... football I still don't get it.
                        It's not about the world of design.
                        It's about the design of the world.
                        Massive Change

Comment

Originally posted by PersonasBinar
                          lol.... football I still don't get it.
                          Don't understand or what the fuss is all about? There is Canadian football?
                          Doug Flooty ring a bell?
                          WYSIWYG

Comment

oh yea,.... no worries there, I'm aware of the game. It's the 75, 000 freezing fans in the stand. I don;t get the passion for world cup footie either. CFL when you wanna play football after your day job.....lol

don;t take my confusion as being a dis
                            It's not about the world of design.
                            It's about the design of the world.
                            Massive Change

Comment

I agree, I don't like the cold, so my wife who loves the cold goes to the games. My butt just sits at home in the easy chair in front of the fire place cheering the team on!
                              WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X