X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third party printing software for Epson Stylus Pro 9000

We have recently upgraded our operating system at my job to OS X (finally!). Apparently, our Epson Stylus Pro 9000 large format printer is no longer supported for OS X by Epson. Their recommendation is to find a third party printing utility, but they have no recommendations as to what to use, and I'm not finding anything that seems workable so far. Any ideas?

The Epson is drive by a Fiery RIP, so I don't need a RIP, I just need some type of printing software that will see all the color features available for the specific printer. GIMP doesn't show all the features of the printer.

Thanks if you can help!
    "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Have you tried running it thru Classic with an Ethernet card?

Comment

I put that backwards. Does the printer have a network card and have you tried printing thru Classic?

Comment

check this Epson page...scroll down to Fiery support in OSX.
        http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/t...FsupAdvice.jsp

Comment

It's connected to our network via Ethernet, so I'm presuming the RIP has a network card (if I'm understanding you correctly). As to printing through Classic, we opted out of installing Classic on our computers. Since we generally print out of Quark, that wouldn't work anyway, as Quark 6.5 doesn't work in Classic.

We have the option of printing through an older Mac that we didn't upgrade, via PDF, just was hoping to find something we could use directly from our stations.

Comment

I'm sorry for speaking up so soon. The ppd install that link talks about under Q: Does EPSON offer support for PostScript printing for it's Professional Wide Format printers under Mac OS X native mode directly?(there's a downloadable pdf instruction sheet). Did you try that? Or doesn't it show all the printer features you need?
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-15-2006, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Just checked the link you sent, PrintDriver, and it looks promising. I e-mailed it to myself at work, will let you know how it works (not at work now, so will have to wait for Monday).

Thanks!

Comment

Good luck!
                Upgrading to OSX is quite a mind-bending experience - trying to get your workflow re-organized and all.

Comment

You don't say what your company does, but if you're using an Epson Pro 9000 it sounds like you could be working for a printing studio producing signs and large-format posters, etc.

A few years ago I used to work for a company in Britain that is the creator of one of the best professional RIPs I know of. It's called Shiraz, and the level of quality and control you get is amazing. I'd recommend getting a trial version so you can at least test it out.

Btw, Be assured that I don't get any fees or rewards for recommending ex-employers products!
                  Best wishes
                  Peter Kessler

Kessler Associates
                  www.kessler-web.co.uk

Comment

PD yeah, the upgrade is a little scary, although the good thing is that everyone at work has been working with OSX at home, so the learning curve will (hopefully) not be too extreme. We were so behind in doing the upgrade however, that it's inevitable there will be some ouches along the way.

Pete, we're a small ad agency. We bought the 9000 approximately 5 years ago, we primarily use it to print our work out in a larger size for our portfolio (saved us mega bucks on reprints versus outsourcing to a regular printer). The option to buy another RIP is not there, I'm afraid, unless what you're talking about is software?

Comment

PD,

Just wanted to let you know that I didn't get a chance to try that link you gave me over the weekend, this upgrade to OS X at work has been INSANE!, but I'm hoping to give it a try over the next couple of days, as my time permits (because of course deadlines don't just go away when doing a software upgrade ), and the mom is always the last one to eat.

I hope it works, will keep you posted. Could be a good thing to post here for the forum for future reference for others similarly upgrading.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

It worked!

PD,

That link you directed me to was the trick! I followed the directions, and all of the printer options came up using the original PPD we used when we were still on OS 9.

Thanks a million!

Comment

Cool! Thanks for posting back that it worked.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                          Working...
                          X