Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Anybody use a Mac Mini?
    <b>
    This is a puzzling discussion because the things described run counter to my experiences.

I've been buying Macs since 1984, and have probably owned, maybe, a couple dozen of them. Also during...
    Today, 09:23 PM
  • iyiyi
    iyiyi
    They are what I used before my mpb. They always had issues. The graphics cards would get screwed up and the screens would freeze (like my mpb is now doing), they were for some reason slower than other...
    Today, 08:53 PM
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo
    What did you hate about them?
    Today, 08:50 PM
  • iyiyi
    iyiyi
    Other than Cosmo, have any of you had "bricking" issues with mac minis? I have done a lot of research and he is the first person to bring up that issue. And fwiw, I was planning on getting a...
    Today, 08:38 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Comment on 48" Single sided retractable banner stand with 2 poles?
    KitchWitch
    Hi SamEvs and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links below. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 08:25 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for printing opportunities

I recently started work with a printing company as a graphic designer and thought that I might join the sales force as well. However, I am really clueless as to where to begin.

I have already approached friends and family. But I wanted get in touch with the bigger boys, as my associates are doing.

I understand there are a lot of companies that put out their projects on the web to bid. Can anyone help and point me into the right direction?

research designers locally, create sample packs to be able to send out, create a sales sheet. Cold calling would be tough, but you maybe able to position yourself so people will call you. Its weird you need to get your own leads though, I thought they would split up incoming calls to the sales force...

Unless your a sort of print broker?

Oh and are you offering design services or print services for your printer shop? Above all do not go near sites like elance. thats where people go to whore themselves out, and it would be a waste of your and the companies billable time
    Tapp-d
    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Check out the job search threads here:
      http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=7892
      "It's never too late to be who you might have been." - George Eliot

Comment

What do you print?
        And are you trying to sell the printing or your designing service?
        If you just started for the company (and based on your earlier posts) do you have the chops to be selling product? Nothing I drop quicker than a salesman who doesn't know his product.

And unless they offer commission on top of your pay rate, I'd leave sales to sales. Who needs the headaches?

Dro, a lot of companies don't split up sales by incoming phone call. It's very cutthroat in a gentlemanly way...or not so gentlemanly, depending on the sales dude.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-19-2006, 04:51 PM.

Comment

yah I was just thinking of how they do it in my previous job. There were no cold calls, but my previous company also has one of the most aggressive marketing campaigns out there...some might even call it spam
          Tapp-d
          "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

I don't know how it is where you are Ice but print is right by nature salesman are usually pretty cut throat. If these guys think you are taking commissions away from them you may become very unpopular very quick, now I am not one for trying to please people other than clients but it is easier to work in an environment where people like you, it makes the day less stressful.
            How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

I am not so much worried about the money part...although it's an issue but i really like to develope a career in the sales region. I am feedup in the production. I worked in a packaging company before, learned all aspects of die-cuts and sorts....then I worked as a freelance graphic designer... just making the cut.....then I worked for a pre-press company... where I learned the film production and printing production aspects.... then I was hired by this printing company...learning all sorts of printing from offset to web...graphic to film....and now I am in the marketing and sales department....

I started to hang out at network dinners and met quite some ppl...but the jobs are really minimal....I would like to try and do close bids for other companies... challenging on the price and quality.

Comment

If you like sales than go for it, I am not much of a salesman and I am sure that has not helped my freelance business. I believe sales is something either you are good at it or you are not, there is not much middle ground, a mediocre salesman would not make enough to survive since they are usually paid on commission.

Comment

yea....definately going for it....just wish there are ways to get more leads...

Comment

I would look into some kind of mailing program or something along the lines of what Drorain was talking about.

Comment

Cold Calling.
                      A friend of mine owns a print broker business and most of her business come from cold calling businesses. She make a couple calls a day and ropes the customers by undercutting the competition (usually giving short run stuff like business cards at cost or slightly above) . Later she aquires the rest of the businesses printing needs (Forms, Envelopes, promotional, etc.) and farms all the work out to cheap specialty wholesale printers. She may break even on business cards but will make a 400% markup on the more expensive longer run stuff.
                      Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                      http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Has anyone heard of bidding for goverment printing jobs??

Comment

Originally posted by icetea1980
                          Has anyone heard of bidding for goverment printing jobs??
                          Yes, I actually know a lot about this. There is a lot of money to be made in bidding on GPO jobs but you really have to make a commitment to it. The margins are very small and since shipping is included in the price your geographic location is a big factor. You can find out more here http://www.gpo.gov/ and this sight has a lot of good information too http://www.governmentprintingsales.com/Home.aspx.

If you have any specific questions shoot em at me.

Comment

Anyone know Canadian Government contacts for printing?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X