X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color matching to hard copy

Greetings all. Just checking to see if I missed any great new breakthoughs while I was napping. We are running 60" HP5500's with Onyx Production House 6.5 and have been fortunate enough, that after many moons spent profiling, linearizing etc., we have gotten great and consistent results with color accuracy particularly with Pantones. The problem is, the majority of our work requires us to match colors to client supplied hardcopy. As you can guess, the hardcopy we are matching usually is not very accurate to the file - but it is the color the customer expects to see, and of course - they are extremely critical.

We generally do our matching in Onyx using curves, color substitutions, etc. Occassionly we need to go back to the native application but the Onyx tools work for us on most occasions. My question is - is there any new technology or processes out there that may reduce the time involved?

Thanks,
    JJ
    Last edited by jjdigital; 01-20-2006, 08:35 PM.

We still chart too.

I'm still waiting for someone to invent a colorimeter or spectrophotometer that reads a color value, compares it to a manually input PMS color and can correct a given profile to match thru rip software. Seems like it should be a 'simple' algorithm...Although 'seems like' and 'is' are two different things.

Welcome to the Forum!
    Last edited by PrintDriver; 01-20-2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks - that is exactly what we are looking for... actually what the big boss is looking for. I actually enjoy colormatching with curves & the like (yes I was dropped on my head) but it is not very efficient.

We have actually played with a manual colorimeter approach using a Pantone ColorCue, taking readings on the sample and the print, getting the cmyk values, and making relative adjustments in the rip, hoping to eventually put together a spreadsheeet that would calculate actual adjustments for us. Unfortunately the ColorCue was just far too inaccurate. I wrote Pantone to ask them if the ColorCue2 was going to be more accurate, the response:
      The PANTONE ColorCue 2 has not yet shipped; nor have we seen units.
      Thus, I cannot vouch for accuracy.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
      Working...
      X