X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexachrome Printing

As a designer, do I need to do anything special to design for Hexachrome Printing? I'm doing some package designs in Illustrator and the sales rep for the printer asked me if I can handle Hexachrome printing as they may offer that as an option instead of CMYK plus spot colors. I said I'd check into it!! Yikes! I'm just starting to investigate this and wondered if anyone had some tips on this.

Is it strictly a prepress conversion or do I need to do something to the color assignments when I'm designing the graphics?

Thanks.

hmm.. i've never really tried that before. but from all of the Hex Prints i've seen, it looks like it would be something they might handle/sep out on their end...
    but i'm sure someone on here knows more about it than i do...

also, is this a label printing company? if so, who are they?
    i'd like to try some Hex printing on some of our packaging.
    www.standercreative.com

Comment

It's a carton printer in Minneapolis. They do a lot of food carton printing. I've got a couple of pages of Google search to read through yet.

One of the big label printers up here is Lofton Label. I'm not positive but I would assume they can do hex printing.

Comment

Are you getting it done at Southwestern Graphic Systems??

Comment

They do the prepress.

Edit: I think that's the name of the company anyways - I'm checking.

Edit 2: It's Southern Graphics that does their prepress. Close!

I'm not sharing the printer name.
          Last edited by balou; 02-02-2006, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by balou
            They do the prepress.

Edit: I think that's the name of the company anyways - I'm checking.

Edit 2: It's Southern Graphics that does their prepress. Close!

Yah I know that place south southwestern couldnt remember, they do alot of prepress work for target food, alot of packaging design prepress

Comment

I may give them a call and try to set up a meeting to educate me a bit.

I know the prepress folks would probably like more designers to do this - figure it out before the designing starts!

Comment

They probably have something about specs right on the internet or their intranet

Comment

Good idea - I'll check it out. Thanks.

Comment

Can we still try to guess?

not that I am an expert in the carton printing in Minneapolis, but I have nothing else to do - until my boss drops another hot job on me.
                    SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

PM me your guess Satchel if you really want. It's just they are good supplier of business for me and I don't want to comprimise my professional relationship with them.

Comment

PM me your guess Satchel if you really want. It's just they are good supplier of business for me and I don't want to comprimise my professional relationship with them.
                        I've moved passed it - I am like that, I think I have A.D.D. but thanks for the offer!
                        SIZE DOES MATTER!

Comment

Balou,

Please help me! I have spent all day looking for a place in Minnesota that prints cartons and I stumbled upon this post after Googling "carton printing minnesota"! I saw you are not keen to share the name of your printer publicly and you are not allowing email messages so I'm really stuck! I am on the other side of the world and am having real difficulty. I would be really grateful if you could message me the name of the printer so I can continue with this project!

Many thanks in advance,

Paul Kaye

Comment

balou,
                            This is a very good article describing the Hexachrome print process from Pantone [Hexachrome Print Process].

Also, the article "intro to Hexachrome - Six Color Basics" describes why package designers/printers are in wide use of Hexachrome.

Additionally, HexWare does support Adobe CS, but it's a chunk of change at $700+. I will say the output is absolutely amazing!

L8'r
                            Why I didn't Make it to the Olympics| Time For Some Campaignin'

Comment

Excellent! Thanks printmonger!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2015 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X