Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Adjusting for Coated and Uncoated Stock

Hi All,
    I'm having a mental lapse. Does anyone know how to adjust the color used on an uncoated paper stock and a coated paper stock? The color I'm using is PMS 576C and PMS 576U. I found that there was a color shift between the two paper types, but didn't realize it was so noticeable until I placed them next to eachother.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Why I didn't Make it to the Olympics| Time For Some Campaignin'

what kind of press are you running this on? the pre press guy at the printer should be doing this not you, unless of course, that's your job
    ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

It's just showing you what the color will look like on coated and what it will look like on uncoated. A solid PMS is a solid PMS regardless. But it will change depending on the PAPER you choose. No adjustments needed.
      WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
        It's just showing you what the color will look like on coated and what it will look like on uncoated. A solid PMS is a solid PMS regardless. But it will change depending on the PAPER you choose. No adjustments needed.
        yep, thats why when you look at different pms books your gonna see a little different color for each type, If you want em to mathc to a closer value you will have to do some testing with your printer

Comment

I'm simply the graphic designer. The press is either a digital press [digital to plate] or sheet fed.

I understand the differences with paper [reflectiveness, dot gain, coating], but I had a client come back and complain that the color of the print work on his letterhead [uncoated stock] and his pocket folders [coated with a hit of satin varnish] are off. He essentially said he wanted them re-printed... Thankfully before he signed my statement of work, I showed him my Pantone swatch books.

In the future, would you recommend using process color s if I'm using different types of papers together?

Thx in advance

Comment

You'll never achieve the same color that you get from spot colors. Have the client press check the job.
            People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

I'll do that in the future.... GO SEAHAWKS!

I've loved watching them this year Jim Zorn and Steve Largent on the sideline is pretty cool to see too, eh!

Comment

Oh boy. I wouldn't go to process. You'll come closer in color with spot. I would ask the printer what type of printing (digital--offset) were the pocket folder and letterhead run on and was it ran on the same press or not (problably not). One could have been digi and the other offset. Also ask if it is possible to use the pocket folder to match the L/H. And above all suggest what rickself advised!!!!!
                WYSIWYG

Comment

Revenge of the other Washington team, the Washington Redskins!!!! Next year!
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                    Revenge of the other Washington team, the Washington Redskins!!!! Next year!
                    Ya, Ya, Ya. Mark Rypien is a Spokane boy, so if it were any other Washington team, go Redskins for Super Bowl XLI
                    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

You can expect your colors to darken on the uncoated paper versus a coated paper. On uncoated paper the ink is absorbed by the paper resulting in dot gain. You best option to get the closest match is to use you’re both your pantone coated and uncoated guide and find PMS colors that match as close as possible. This won't totally remove the risk, if the press runs different ink densities your colors might look different also.
                      info@printingforless.com

Comment

Originally posted by printmonger
                        Hi All,
                        The color I'm using is PMS 576C and PMS 576U. I found that there was a color shift between the two paper types, but didn't realize it was so noticeable until I placed them next to eachother.

Any help would be much appreciated
                        Hi dgaugler,

When switching between coated,uncoated and varnished finishing, you will generally always have a slight to large color shift.
                        PMS 576C= coated
                        PMS 576U= uncoated

The ink is exactly the same.
                        Last edited by printerman; 02-26-2006, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Your right, the ink is the same it just has a difference appereance depending on the paper. Hence they make different guides to give an accurate representation of what it will look like on the different papers.
                          info@printingforless.com

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                          Working...
                          X