Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• B
    Reply to Logo motorcycle magazine
    B
    As HotButton says, it's really only part of the Harley Davidson crowd who dress up in the tough guy costumes. Neither BMW nor Ducati riders, for example, would be caught dead looking like them.
    Today, 05:06 PM
  • dotta
    Reply to hyperlinking multiple images with php
    dotta
    You are correct in saying that. I'm using wordpress to make my webcomic, so I'm having to rewrite the code with each page.

Here's the website: http://jessaandnora.com/

I will...
    Today, 04:19 PM
  • HotButton
    HotButton
    Igh...I believe Moto Rivista is aimed more at the "Cafe Racer" mindset, as opposed to unwashed costumed chest thumping whiners.

In any case, sorry Creare, but I think this is a...
    Today, 03:57 PM
  • typo
    Reply to Typography resources.
    typo
    Hey there guys,
    Talking about mixing fonts, I just found this book (The big book of font combinations only in pdf version as far as I can see) and I was wondering, Is there any good alternative...
    Today, 03:14 PM
  • Momoshy
    Momoshy
    Hey, what kind of magazine is this?
    Because, when I think of motorcycles, I think of very macho men, Heavy metal, tatooed men on Harley Davidson style, which I relate to a heavy, raw and straight...
    Today, 03:01 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up detailed line art files for print?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing a 6 panel CD digipack for a record label and am having some setup problems. The artwork on all 6 panels (11"x17" flat) is very detailed vector line art from Illustrator. Lots of lines at 0.2pts. My first thought was to rasterize the 6panels and bring it into InDesign as a TIF, however in doing this at 1800dpi (requested by the printer) puts the file size at over 2GB. I'm thinking that this is way to huge for print. I've tried any combination of splitting up the panels into smaller file sizes, but am still averaging 300MB per panel. Is this fairly standard, or is it actually too detailed to print? Any suggestions on how to setup line art at a decent size for a professional print run would be much appreciated.....

Vector art out of illy doesn't need to be 1800dpi (nothing does) nor do I think you need to rasterize it. You should just leave it as an illy file, and copy or place it into InDy as an AI file and you should be good.
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Rick is correct. Vector is what you want. If you make into raster art, it would defeat the whole thing by pixelating it. Just as Rick said, place it as a eps or an AI file.
      WYSIWYG

Comment

thanks!! Glad that's a proper solution, because I really didn't want to raster nice vector art. I'll submit it that way and see what the printer says.

Comment

I've been in printing for 30 years, if your printer says there will be a problem with your vector art --find another printer!!
          WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by strangelove
            thanks!! Glad that's a proper solution, because I really didn't want to raster nice vector art. I'll submit it that way and see what the printer says.
            You just heard from 2 printers, hopefully yours will concur!
            People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Vectors NOT rastors
              It's not about the world of design.
              It's about the design of the world.
              Massive Change

Comment

You've just heard from 150 years of combined printing experience!
                WYSIWYG

Comment

You can't go wrong with 150 years combined experience! I placed the file as an EPS and all is well. The illustrations for the packaging took well over 30 hours, so I just don't want anything to print poorly. Now I'm confident. Thanks so much for all of your help!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                    You've just heard from 150 years of combined printing experience!
                    ummm..........my calculator MUST be broken!

Comment

Strangelove, how is it being printed? Offset? I'm just wondering what the printers here think about printing .2pt lines in different processes. I do a lot of packaging work which gets flexo printed and generally my printers don't like that narrow a line. This really more for general knowledge so I hope we get a few responses.
                      I could give you a dose
                      but it would never come close
                      to the rage built up inside of me
                      fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

Comment

That's a good point. If it's offset, it depends on the printer and their equipment. It used to be for us .25 but now direct to plate we can do .2
                        WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X