X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with colours

Can someone help solve the following riddle?
    Leaflet gets printed on digital, range of col images come out great.
    Leaflet gets reprinted on press by different printer, range of col images come out green (using same electronic file, and with hard copy of original supplied for matching).
    Printer blames designer. Is he right?

Designer should have asked for a proof first and sent a sample to match.

Digital presses are glorified color copiers - no two print exactly alike. We have a digital press here and I make adjustments to all the images/files that we receive to ensure that everything get printed looks the best that it can.
    Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
    http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

matchprint, nuff said
      ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Thanks

Thanks - printer did have sample for matching but there was no time for hard copy proof because of distance (rush job apparently).

Comment

I think you may have just found a lazy printer. Why did you switch in the first place?
          Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.

Comment

Client's choice because of the delivery/pick-up point. This printer's done work for the oganisation for years but of a different type (more traditional) so you'd think he'd know what he's doing.

Comment

No no no.
              No blaming the printer if the job is a RUSH job. You didn't give him time to 'match the print' if you didn't have time to get a proof. I hate being blamed for color when the client wanted it yesterday. There are only so many hours in a day.

You don't say how many images or how much time...

Depends on how you sent the file too. PDF, native, or ???
              Last edited by PrintDriver; 02-08-2006, 12:09 AM.

Comment

This is a new trend in printing now. No hard proofs needed. Just send me a PDF.
                WYSIWYG

Comment

Very valid points PD - especially on how you the files were sent, it makes a huge difference.

Comment

He got the InDesign original and a pdf of the artwork.

Also separate files of all pix (as jpgs) and logos (eps).

I understand what you're saying about printers sending a pdf proof but that always seems a poor second when it comes to colour (different computers and output devices). He sent through a pdf proof and it was OK'd. It was probably the pdf sent to him ;-)

Comment

....also should've mentioned, printer has same InDesign software.
                      There were about 10 pix.
                      Understand the problem with rush jobs but clients will be clients and we all live with that.
                      It'd just be good to work out how this happened.

Comment

jpgs for print?
                        Is that what he wanted?

I'm not going to defend your printer. And we could argue about this for days.
                        The only person that knows what was wrong with your files, if anything, is your printer and unless he can give you specific reasons why the images came out greenish, then it's anybody's guess. I certainly wouldn't let him get away with, 'It's your fault' if there is no valid reason coming from him.

Online pdf 'proofs' should only be used for content check. Never for color.

Comment

I totally agree with D-Frag and PrintDriver. The printer is at fault with regards to the color... BUT you ought to always get a color proof, matchprint or sherpa, local or remote. If the client wants it too soon to produce a proof for either content and/or color, you as the designer ought to advise them against such a decision, or simply tell them NO. No client is ever worth tarnishing your reputation b/c they're poor planners.

One thing I wanted to share with you is that I sent a small promotion piece to clients describing our services and to educate them on receiving better print results. I included a list of ten ways clients can expect better printing results. Proper planning was listed as #2! Maybe that's something you can do in the future to prevent such happenings again.
                          Why I didn't Make it to the Olympics| Time For Some Campaignin'

Comment

Thanks...great advice. Just wondering, if planning is #2, what's #1? Listening?

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                              This is a new trend in printing now. No hard proofs needed. Just send me a PDF.

My printer has been sending me just an online pdf for some rush jobs...i don't see how this can be accurate though since everyones monitors are set differently? It's fine for graphics and fonts and placement but not for color.
                              the best designs happen when you don't even realize they are there.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X