Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the Printers have a problem printing it Vector?

I made a highly detailed vector logo in Illustrator CS2 to be printed as a decal.

I used a lot of transparencies and blur effects, and was prepared to have some image loss due to the fact that the printers also requested the file sent as an illustrator 9 ai "just in case".

They could open the file no problem, but said when they tried to print it, it kept crashing their computers (FYI file size was about 4 MB).

So instead they had to print the decal as a 'high-res tiff'. And of course, the clarity just isnt what it should be.

If they could open up the vector file without any issues, why did they have to go the route with the tiff?

You would think that if the technology is there to create something in illustrator, then the technology should be in place to print it, especially if its vector.

But there's so much I don't know from the printing side of things...

Any thoughts?
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...id=47773110794

can you post the logo? you transperencies and blur effects is your problem those wreck havoc on printing sometimes....better off saving an eps and then rasterizing it in ps before sending it to print

Comment

yeah, i bet its those effects...

its like trying to print a huge layered photoshop file vs. a flattened one.
      www.standercreative.com

Comment

the logo is the one i posted in this thread:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=13670

also I attached a detail shot of it.

I bet all you printing guys are now saying," oohhh, well THERE's your problem." LOL

But anyway, IS IT IMPOSSIBLE to print this for a decal and KEEP IT vector?
        Thats the impression i get from the printers i used.
        Attached Files

Comment

depends on the flattening settings used to ease the transparencies onto a RIP that more than likely does not support transparencies.... there's a whole heap O' math involved if it going to be all vector
          It's not about the world of design.
          It's about the design of the world.
          Massive Change

Comment

Mike, there are a lot of things you can do with programs that don't print correctly. Just because you can draw it, doesn't mean it can be printed - without serious workarounds.

Your printer requesting Illy 9 is a huge red flag. They may be having rip postscript issues because of the transparency which will cause a crash.

I don't see anything in that particular image that I couldn't print in wide format (just don't ask for a perfect color match with all that gradient stuff going on). If you used gradient meshes, the first and probably best option actually would be to rasterize it. Sorry.

How big was the decal? Was it the High res tif that printed poorly or was it the print process itself? A course line screen?

Comment

Hi Personasbinar.

Comment

most of that stuff is getting rasterized anyways illy does that with certain transperencies and effects, if you rasterize it you should right with enough res you will hardly see a difference if it was vector or raster. It is not impossible, it might be for some rips and some might handle it,

Comment

Some printers are better suited or have updated rips to handle jobs than other printers. With the introduction of Adobe Suite CS a lot of printer's workflows became dated. Saving the file down sometimes helps the printer run it through their workflow for correct results. The fact that they ask YOU to save it down is strange. That to me says they did not have Adobe CS which means to me a dated workflow system.
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by rockem
                    most of that stuff is getting rasterized anyways illy does that with certain transperencies and effects, if you rasterize it you should right with enough res you will hardly see a difference if it was vector or raster. It is not impossible, it might be for some rips and some might handle it,
                    I would suggest 600 dpi myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver
                      How big was the decal? Was it the High res tif that printed poorly or was it the print process itself? A course line screen?
                      Here's a detail of the actual decal I scanned (detail is about 2.5 inches wide).
                      total decal size was about 12 inches by 7 inches.

Colors / lines should be smooth, shouldnt it? Especiall if its a vector file?

Was this a printing issue, or my file just cant be printed?
                      Attached Files

Comment

its like everyone already said, its a mixture of both the detail and effects in the logo, and your shop not having up to date software.

here at our shop, we have to rasterize everything because our ripping software doesn't support vector, only raster. I would suggest finding a different vendor to reproduce this in the quality you want.
                        ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I would have to see the file but i think our large formats could handle that, you wouldnt get any color matching it would be "as is" as pd already stated. If you are still worried about it and getting it redone, get a test print first, usuall around 40 to 60 bucks depending where you go, and you get the whole image printed and then usually a section fo the image at full size

Comment

What you are seeing is a rosette pattern. It's what all 4/c offset print contains. It's 4 color dots (cmyk) arranged at different angles to produce a colored image. The lower the LPI (lines per inch) on the film or plate the more noticeable the dot pattern. Your art looks to be around 133-150 line. Some printers can print upto 300lpi but not many. Maybe you should avoid offset and try some other form for printing such as silk screen for example.
                            WYSIWYG

Comment

What kind of material did you get it printed on??

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X