X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Common Prepress Mistakes

I don't know if a thread like this has ever been started here before but it seems like this would be a great spot for the GDF Prepress Gurus to educate the forum on the most common things that designers can do to make their electronic files more prepress friendly.

I used to do some prepress and this was one we frequently ran across:

ILLUSTRATOR files with linked image(s) and the linked image(s) were not sent along with the electronic file.

when our production team gets swamped I help out sometimes with art comming in from outside our walls, there are tons of problems
    blacks not set up to true black
    they will call out a pms color and then have multiple variations of that pms color
    embedded images in illustrator so if you need to make changes you alwasy have to rasterize it
    missing linked images
    font not created to outlines or missing fonts
    sending low res comp images instead of high res
    not following printer specs
    rgb and cmyk used wrong
    dirty scans or other unclean art
    posterization on pictures
    corrupt files
    use of illy effects that are not rasterized

I really dont miss prepress at all

Comment

The biggest problem I have seen is fonts not coverted to outlines, but the mistake most people make is not calling the printer they are going to use and find out things like acceptable format and file types they may or may not accept.
      How about a chain pickerel in your bath tub?

Comment

Originally posted by Logo-Mechanix
        The biggest problem I have seen is fonts not coverted to outlines, but the mistake most people make is not calling the printer they are going to use and find out things like acceptable format and file types they may or may not accept.
        For accepting file type I think printers should be some of the first people to get the newest and up to date software, even if they havent done all the testing to work out bugs, they should have it I think to accept the files designers make. They can save down version if they have to. Our printing at work is alwasy up to date to accomodate to files comming in, and it makes everything go much smoother

Comment

You would be surprised how many printers as well as silk screeners and the like don't have the latest software, they should, but they don't, so I will always ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Logo-Mechanix
            You would be surprised how many printers as well as silk screeners and the like don't have the latest software, they should, but they don't, so I will always ask.
            Oh I know, I will usually not work with a printer that is so outdated, throws up a red flag right there.

Comment

Not using spell check.
              Less be more.

Comment

oh forgot about that, but one that makes it even worse is thinking spell check catches all the errors

Comment

I have used some pretty good printers that don't have the absolute latest software versions. Hell, I sometimes don't have the latest software versions, rarely, but sometimes I don't. It may be a red flag but I have not found this to be the case on most counts, I mean unless they are more than an upgrade or two behind.

Comment

a desinger having older softwarer is a huge difference than a printer having older software.
                    I agree with your but the upgrades depend on how major the upgrade is, like know if a printer is not using CS, it can be a pain for them and the designer

Comment

I have skipped an upgrade here or there but always got the next one, it's not a good idea to fall too far behind it creates problems and looks unprofessional when you have to ask someone to dumb down the file for you.

Comment

try printing daily newspaper with only one imagesetter. Time is tight and crusial, no spare time for mistakes.......if that imagesetter is burnt....the hell with that day's newspaper!!

Comment

How about the obvious (and bane of my day, today); remembering that most things require not just a bleed, but also an inside margin....
                          Former GD. Current Photographer
                          http://ascottmccauley.com/

Comment

Knowing what side the gripper is on and how the stock is fed through the press will affect how the signature is layed out and backed up.

Plan for not only bleeds, but perfs and folds.
                            Viki Anderson Graphics & Design on Demand
                            Through the Looking Glass

Comment

Originally posted by Vikia
                              Knowing what side the gripper is on and how the stock is fed through the press will affect how the signature is layed out and backed up.
                              Vikia, isn't this more part of the decision making of the printer rather than designer though? Every printer runs things differently, gangs jobs, lays out jobs/pages for certain presses, etc. depending upon the design and the press scheduling. I guess knowing how to design things so your printer can print it in a more cost effective way is important if there is flexibility in the design.

I don't understand your terminology "signature is layed out and backed up" - can you clarify for me? And I'm going to feel down right dumb if it's something common I missed after 10 years at a print shop! But I figured if I didn't understand it, the newbies out there won't either.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X