Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color accurate proof

Hello everyone,
    I have been setting up files to send to printers for 4 years now for projects like brochures, marketing collateral, packaging, labels and other small format items. I am the only designer working here and have now been asked to design a three panel show booth, which is going to be printed in Europe (I am in the USA). I received the specs from the printing company this morning from one of our sales reps(that is a problem in and of itself, but not relevant to this). All of the specs seem normal to me except one, which is why I am writing this. The printer wants me to send them a "color accurate print proof" which is somthing I have never been asked to provide before. Each panel is about 26" X 90" and will be printed in 4 color process. I can not think of a way to get color accurate printer proofs other than sending the files to a printer. Is there another way? I am going to try to get in touch with the printer (if it was in the US I would have just done that and not written this), but for now does anyone have any advice?
    I could give you a dose
    but it would never come close
    to the rage built up inside of me
    fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy

If you can contact the printer, I'd ask them if they REALLY need that. Or if they do, see if they'll accept an 11x17 reduction of the file printed and then go somehwere that will create a match print or color proof.

Comment

they just want a small sample of what you think the print should look like. IF color is not a big deal print a sample and send it to them, if it is spend time on tweaking the color the way you want it, so when they start printing they will match to your proof

Comment

Thanks for answering balou. I am going to try and get in touch with the printer tomorrow to see what size proof they need. I considered that the proof would need to be smaller, but then thought how much good would that do the printer. If I reduce each panel to fit on tabloid paper it will only be about 17% of actual size and I don't know how much good a color proof that is so much smaller than the original would be? I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'm so used to being able to talk to my printers..this kinda stinks.

Thanks rockem I'll see what they say.
        I could give you a dose

Comment

Is it mostly photos or are there solid parts you have set up as cmyk pantone colors? Sometimes I'll send out a color print from my printer with notes about the colors and their PMS equivalents. My inkjet on photo paper does a nice job with photos so many times I'll just send one of those along too. Just depends how picky the customer is (and printer) and if they're really picky, most likely it's a corporation with a branding guidleline manager and they have the budget to pay for match prints.

Comment

dont worry about the size, it is fine to get a 8.5 x11 proof for a 10 foot mirage. I you would have to print a full size proof why not just do it yourself?

Comment

The only place you might run into problems is if you are specifying a Pantone match. Even though booth graphics are printed in '4 color' they aren't done with separations and plates and every printer prints color differently. If you are using PMS solid colors in your mural, speak to the printer about how they want those colors put in the file and indicated on your hard copy (which is what we call that full color print proof).

Now they may actually be asking for a certified match print, which you will have to send out for. It's called a SWOP proof but I'd be really surprised if that is what they want...

Comment

Thanks for answering everyone. I spoke with someone at the printers this morning and was told to send an 8.5 by 11 proof so they had somthing to match colors too. I told the rep that I was going to be converting the PMS colors to CMYK before I sent the files, but she still wants me to note which colors are PMS matches (which really are not PMS matches since I'll be converting them into CMYK) which I didn't expect, but that is what the printer wants.

As I said before I don't usually work in large format to be printed outside my office. Usually if a customer wants to see a color match proof I have the printer supply it(for an extra fee of course) no big deal. This printer will not supply me with a color match proof so I need to find a place to get it printed. I guess it's time to go google for a while.

Thanks for your replys everyone and rockem "I you would have to print a full size proof why not just do it yourself?" That is exactly what I was thinking.
                I could give you a dose

Comment

Errr....You are confusing the heck out of me here.
                  Why are you converting Pantones to CMYK?
                  And they won't supply a color proof after you submit your file?
                  What is this being printed on?
                  And from what program?
                  I'm kinda curious, having recently been told by one of my vendors that they outsource a certain process to Holland (!)

Comment

Im confused to? Call out the pms colors you are going for on your proof, then they will try and hit that. If your telling them to go for the proccess side they probably will try to match to that which will result in a much duller color.
                    For getting it done over seas I would get a test print first, shouldnt be to much maybe around 50 -75 and then you know what your getting

Comment

Lets see if I can answer some questions here. First let me tell you that the printer is not overseas as I thought, but is actually in North Carolina. There was some confussion on that point which is mostly my fault, but now I know.
                      Originally posted by printdriver
                      Why are you converting Pantones to CMYK?
                      And they won't supply a color proof after you submit your file?
                      What is this being printed on?
                      And from what program?
                      I was going to convert the spot colors (Pantones) to process because I have usually had to do that for our brochures and marketing collateral and some packaging which were 4 color process and those printers want the colors converted before I sent them. After reading your question and rockems reply I am beginning to think that this may not be a good idea. Comments?

They will not supply a color proof after I submit my files. I am not sure why.

I am not sure exactly what it is being printed on (I need to call the printer back to find out) all I know is that it is plastic.

Last but not least I will be creating these in Illustrator 11 which is their prefered file format. They also prefer Photoshop, but about 60% each panel will be vector artwork so I chose Illustrator instead.

Let me know if you have any other comments or suggestions and thank you for taking the time to help me out.
                      I could give you a dose

Comment

rasterize it if you have alot of transperencies and drop shadows and other illy effects,
                        they wont print you a test print? I would find somewhere else to go thats a big red flag in my book.
                        remember about your panel breaks if ya wanna keep something from being cut through

Comment

got a pic of it so I can see to see if there are any other problems I can spot out right away?

Comment

Rockem, actually I haven't done any design on the panels yet. I have the measurements and bleed requirements which I received yesterday(they want them completed by next Tuesday). <sarcasm>I received it yesterday but the marketing department has been talking about it for a month and a half now. Why tell the designer what your doing when you can dump a lot of work on him at the last minute</sarcasm>. The markateers actually want three seperate panels so the only thing that will go from panel to panel is the company logo and possibly an illustration at the bottom. As for going somewhere else...well even if I don't get the information I need this afternoon I actually have no say in who is doing the work. It seems strange but the structure of this company tries to keep me away from our printers. It's a long story and fairly boring so I'll stop. Suffice it to say I would prefer a bigger role in deciding these things.

I started this morning writing code for a new website for a division of the company, then had to do a production drawing in CAD, talk to the large format printer, write a proposal to udate our artwork and drawing archives, change two label layouts in Illy and sit in a meeting with a printer who wants to work for us(which is really strange since I won't have any say in the decision to hire them or not). My mind is shot. Too much variety makes John a crazy boy. "Heeeeeeres Johnny".
                            Last edited by Drawing a Blank; 02-16-2006, 07:07 PM.
                            I could give you a dose

Comment

- Sounds like a printed vinyl job. Could be a polyester Lambda job.
                              - Don't convert your PMS colors to CMYK. Keep them as PMS colors and let them know you did by calling them out on your hard copy. Supply chips if you have them. In wide format, we don't use seps or plates. If color managed, the PMS colors have to be there for the profiles to read.
                              - If you have raster images they should probably be at least 100 to 150dpi AT FINAL SIZE. Do the math. Don't worry (much) about the resolution of the actual Illustrator file if you are working at 100% (actual size).
                              - Link your images, don't embed them.
                              - No proof is a big risk. Unless they don't have the time, which it sounds like. A no rush schedule for this type of thing is usually 7 business days with a proof.
                              - There is a Large format graphic requirements thing in the Resource section. It may confuse you more than help though. And it's always superceded by whatever your printer tells you to do.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X