Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• edz
    Reply to Hello all!
    edz
    Ahhh.... I was wondering why my replies weren't appearing... I replied twice on my thread lol - oops.... off to read the rules
    Today, 08:44 PM
  • edz
    Reply to Flyer looking for improvements
    edz
    Firsly, thanks taking the time to look at my post, let alone the constructive critique

In reply to your points:
    1) These are actually 3 different brides... maybe I...
    Today, 08:37 PM
  • LGWV
    New to the graphic design scene
    LGWV
    Hey all, i'm a high school student hoping to get involved with graphic design so i started researching it and felt overwhelmed. Is there a general place i should start? and is there any advice you guys...
    Today, 08:11 PM
  • magdi_alafifi
    What are the best international graphic design scholarships to pursue right now?
    magdi_alafifi
    So I just finished High school and I'm looking for an international scholarship (the US would be my ideal choice). My GPA is pretty good. I don't have a collected portfolio website but I've done a lot...
    Today, 05:59 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Latest Bloomberg Businessweek Cover
    seamas
    Pretty awful imho.

Outlined font--minor sin

Quasi rainbow gradient --minor to moderate sin the further you move from a children's publication.

Cursive in all-caps--major...
    Today, 04:11 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID overprint & pdf question

A couple questions here, I would really appreciate any advice. These questions pertain to a magazine ad I'm working on:

When in Indesign should I be really concerned with clicking "overprint fill" for CMYK printing? For dark colored type over a colored background? Or is "simulate overprint" when exporting pdf good enough?

When I export the PDF, should I click the Press format or Print? (Transparency settings should be set to High Res, I assume.)

Thanks for any help, I'm still getting to know ID. This forum has been the most helpful way of learning online that I've found.

First word of advice is contact the place that will be printing your ads. If it an inhouse thing then you shouldn't have to worry about overprint with CMYK.

I personally turn off all compression when I am exporting ot PDF for the stuff I do. Most of it is line art type stuff so the file sizes don't get too big. The reason I shut it off is because I don't want to worry about anything getting down sampled and causing it to look bad when printed.

Honestly a lot of thise depends on where you are printing it.

Comment

Moonowl,
      I'm with Neuro on advice: pick up your phone and call them and ask them just what you asked in this forum. I know that sometimes designers don't want to ask the printer they want to appear as though they already know what they are doing, etc., to sort of save face and look professional, but trust me there is nothing unprofessional about going in to the printer with your heart on your sleeve and saying "School me up Please! Tell me what I should and should not do to have my files perfect when I bring them to you" the printer will tell you, it's that easy. And you only have to do this once and then you know what he wants and he won't have to call you if something isn't right, etc. I have earned alot of respect from printers by doing this very thing. If I'm not sure I call and ask, the graphics people at print shops usually appreciate you trying to find out how to do it right. It saves them time later when your job comes across their desk because they won't have to stop and fix things. It never hurts to ask questions. One thing my best and favorite printer always likes is the file in pdf and in InDesign just incase something needs to be tweeked. Good Luck!

Comment

Always ask, they may just take INDD files. OF a PDF X1-A file should do. As for your overprinting of elements ....that's up to you. If you aren't well versed in what happens when inks are overprinted, you might not want to start until you are. Don't practice on jobs that are going to print.
        It's not about the world of design.
        It's about the design of the world.
        Massive Change

Comment

Overprint dark colored type? Unless you are looking to acheive a artsy effect that dark colored type should be black. You'll need to tell the printer what build that dark colored type is. A good printer will decide to overprint it or make it a rich black (4/c process job) or knock it out of the background.
          WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X