X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Printers? Who to use?

Has anyone used overnight prints? I love the thick stock and the uv coating they provide and they are soooo cheap for business cards for full color and full bleed, but i have had soooo many problems with them lately. I have had no troubles with client cards in the past but my companies cards i ordered from them they all use the same .eps file i only changed the names on them for each one, and half of the cards came out just right and the other half all came out different colored blues eventhough they all had the exact same colors. I explained the problem to them and they were real nice about refunding it but said they couldn't match the blues? Not only that but the blues printed purple. Their response was that they can't print blue well!?!?!? Their rep told me that they have that problem all of the time with blues printing purple and there is nothing they can do about it. Their requirements for colors are RGB? I don't understand at all why they use RGB for printing? Does that make any sense to anyone else? But even so my blue had no % of red at all so there is no way it could turn out purple. Not only all that but some were cropped wrong and one set of cards had rounded corners and i didn't want rounded corners and i did not check that box on any set. I am just frusterated with them it has taken us 4 months just to get all our cards looking okay with re-printing them again i had to go back though them because half of the cards did come out right so we had been using them and i want everyones to all to match and have the same stock, weight and gloss. The thing that gets me the most is that half of the cards were fine in the first place so I KNOW their printer is capable of printing the blue right. And for a printer to say they can't print blue!? what in the hell is that? and they don't say that anywhere on their site so i am sure everyone that has blue ink on their cards turns out purple. And they keep sending my cards all with someone elses name on the all the boxes, i have told them specifically that that is not my name and they say they change it everytime but i just received my final boxes today and they still haven't bothered to fix my name on my account. It's just so lame I am not impressed with this company at all. if anyone can explain please do cause i'm totally lost on them.

So on the other hand...who is a good CHEAP online printer for business cards/postcards for small budgets? Preferably for full color/full bleed. I usually just use my local printer for clients that understand paying more gets you more, but not all my clients are able to pay that much they end up costing almost $300 per name it adds up when you have 20+ names. Any good suggestions?
    Last edited by gr7ap2hi0cs; 03-08-2006, 01:04 AM.
    the best designs happen when you don't even realize they are there.

They require rgb because it's digital printing not offset. Inks are different than cmyk I believe. I do not know any online printers. However, there is someone who is an online printer who visits this site often and has a good rep. Someone soon will chime in with good recommendations.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

wow block of text

umm I didnt read everything...but online printers are okay if you know the nature of the beast

I used to work with one and what you describe is a common prob, the blue/deep blues would shift the most. There really is no correcting this, simply avoid using the colors as much as possible...but it is cost effective

double edge sword.
      Tapp-d
      "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

I wrote up some ideas/pointers on my blog

http://www.grivakisgraphics.com/tapp...1_archive.html

Check the post "Who are those online printers anyway" I listed some things to know about online printing
        Tapp-d

Comment

I do totally understand what you get is what you get with online printers, I don't expect them to do as good of a job as a print shop. But I know there has got to be a trustworthy low cost printer out there for low budgets.

Thanks guys for the responses...i know big block of text I do that a lot I really need to stop that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drorain
            I wrote up some ideas/pointers on my blog

http://www.grivakisgraphics.com/tapp...1_archive.html

Check the post "Who are those online printers anyway" I listed some things to know about online printing
            That's your blog, Drorain? You learned all of that in 1.5 years? You're a genius.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

thanky Jim, much of it is stuff I've learned in conversation on here and stuff I learned working on the job...but I do have a BFA in Graphic design to, so the schooling helped too
              Tapp-d

Comment

i use partnerprinting.com
                they have more choices than overnightprints
                prices are compareable
                Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

Thanks for the references guys!

http://www.orange32.com rocks but their prices are higher, I'm more looking for tight budget clients.

Comment

send me a pm with whatcha got I'll see what I can do for ya
                    Tapp-d

Comment

I don't have anything in particular right now but I will in the future, I mostly just would like to use an online printer for business cards and possibly postcards, i'm not sure if I could trust an online printer for a brochure? As far as online printers all I know of is overnightprints...blah, printingpartners.com, and orange32 i should probalby just ask my friend google but i really wanted some personal opinions from some fellow designers that have used their services by experience.

Thanks for all your help Drorain you rock!

Comment

OK, I'm biased I work for PrintingForLess.com, I hear these exact same comments everyday from our customers. I think Drorain gave some excellent advice about using an online printer or any printer for that matter. I think the most valuable thing you can do is call and ask questions if the sales rep can't answer your questions youíre better off calling someone else.

As far as the consistency issue and the blues printing purple that's probably because the online printer your using never even looks at your files they just print them and shove them out the door, hence the cheap price. But the real question is can you find an online printer that is capable of delivering a quality product at fair price, I think so. But then again Iím a little biased.
                        info@printingforless.com

Comment

Originally posted by dgaugler
                          OK, I'm biased I work for PrintingForLess.com, I hear these exact same comments everyday from our customers. I think Drorain gave some excellent advice about using an online printer or any printer for that matter. I think the most valuable thing you can do is call and ask questions if the sales rep can't answer your questions youíre better off calling someone else.

As far as the consistency issue and the blues printing purple that's probably because the online printer your using never even looks at your files they just print them and shove them out the door, hence the cheap price. But the real question is can you find an online printer that is capable of delivering a quality product at fair price, I think so. But then again Iím a little biased.
                          dgaugler, just curious, do you use digital presses or offset or both? If you have both which one do you use the most? Thanks
                          WYSIWYG

Comment

We are an all Heidelberg shop, and only do offset printing.
                            info@printingforless.com

Comment

Really, I'm a little surprised. Heidelberg is the best. We are an all Heidelberg shop too including our digital workflow which we just switched to. My first impression of internet printing is that it's pretty much hang and bang, not much accountability but that's changing.
                              WYSIWYG

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X