Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When sending Illustrator Files to Printer...

When you send Illustrator files to the Printer is it manditory to Expand your Strokes?
    I never have in the past and everything has alwasy been fine, but i just got a Shrink Label back today and one of my strokes is missing on the label.
    is that my fault or is that thier fault???

btw, the Hard Proof showed the stroke was there from what i remember...
    www.standercreative.com

Double check the stroke size. I've had this bite me before when a stroke was really tiny, it showed up fine on the screen and when printed on laser. The rip however tried to "print" it at actual size which was prettymuch invisible.

Comment

yah the basic rule of thumb for hairline strokes is a minimum of .25pts, otherwise its going going gone
      Tapp-d
      "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

the stroke that is missing was set at 1.5pt.
        www.standercreative.com

Comment

Well that's good, I assume it wasn't a weird color. Beats me, what does the printer have to say about it.

Oh and in answer to your original question, No you shouldn't have to expand your strokes.

Comment

yah, sounds like they simply flubbed it up
            Tapp-d
            "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Drorain
              yah the basic rule of thumb for hairline strokes is a minimum of .25pts, otherwise its going going gone
              That size is correct. It also depends on the printer's imagesetter. It sounds like a spot color job and perhaps the stroke color name was slightly different. But, the printer should have caught it.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

what was the stroke around? the only strokes I have ever seen disapear, are ones around linked images and relinking them sometimes makes em dissapear

Comment

depends, was the design at full scale? if you don't outline the strokes, then the rip will print it at it's original size (in my experience).
                  My Site

Comment

you should expand the strokes if it is not full size. The Rip will not have the strokes size go proportionally. Trust me, I had this happened.
                    My Site

Comment

Ask your printer? If you signed off on a proof with that stroke it's their fault for sure. Ask them what they prefer for file settings.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X