Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• georgemaharis1
    HI!
    georgemaharis1
    Just posted in printing and prepress. Hope to see it approved shortly!
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • georgemaharis1
    Register from a Gerber to a Roland or vice versa?
    georgemaharis1
    I need to be able to routinely prototype / make comps of self adhesive labels. This includes both clear and opaque. I have access to a ROLAND VS which does a VERY good job, but the metallics it can...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • desmiley1
    Reply to Illustrator won't let me highlight text?
    desmiley1
    Same here, new account...Thanks so much for posting this answer. The zombie post lives and has been re-awakened for 2014!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
  • Sbower
    Reply to Re Branding my personal logo.
    Sbower
    Thank you everyone for you comments they have been very helpful. I do have to agree after looking it over again I don't think the icon reads very effectively. And therefore makes it a bit useless. And...
    Yesterday, 09:58 PM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Are you able to read the text?
    PanToshi
    No prob. The vBulletin forum software is really kinda… well, borked up. I'm glad the workaround works for ya.
    Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to print a one time newspaper..Help

Hello, This is my first post here

I need to print a b&w newspaper for a one time job. It would only be one sheet (4 pages front and back), 1000 quantity. My budget is around 3k or less. It will most likely be created in illustrator cs2 in a high res pdf format. I am wondering what my options are as far as where to go to get this printed?Has anyone here done someting like this before?

TIA

when all else fails...google it I found...

http://www.printusa.com/quotes/newspapers.html
    oh and my search

http://www.google.com/search?q=newsp...en-US:official
    Tapp-d
    "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

What is the size? Does it need to be printed on newsprint paper? This sounds more like a newsletter than a newspaper, if so and the size is 11x17 or so flat you could get this printed at your local printer for way under $3,000. should be more like $300 or even less in B&W

Comment

Originally posted by Kool
        What is the size? Does it need to be printed on newsprint paper? This sounds more like a newsletter than a newspaper, if so and the size is 11x17 or so flat you could get this printed at your local printer for way under $3,000. should be more like $300 or even less in B&W
        Thanx for your quick reply. Yes, we would like it to look resemble a real newspaper (i.e. size and paper weight or someting close to the stock of a newspaper). What would you suggest as a good place to go?

Comment

You need special web presses to print on newsprint. I doubt this could be done over the internet but you could search. Best bet is have whoever prints your local newspapers do it.

Comment

sounds a little difficult, I've never done newsprint before myself
            Tapp-d
            "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

There is paper stock that is similar to newsprint that will run on offset presses. It's just a bit more thicker. Also, if you really want that newspaper effect you may want the printer to image between 85 to 110 lines per inch--(lpi).
              WYSIWYG

Comment

Great! This is helping alot, please keep the suggestions comin'.

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

I would highly recommend that you NOT do it in Illustrator and that you do it in a page layout program like Indesign or Quark or even Publisher if you have to. That will make your life and your printers life a whole lot easier.
                    Also I am wondering why, if you are printing on newsprint you would want a high res file? That will only muddy your halftones as you have quite a bit of dot gain and as stated above the line screen will be 85 to 110. Typically the rule of thumb for resolution is two times the line screen so your DPI could be anywhere from 180 to 266. (No I didn't calculate wrong those are just resolutions that I work in as a standard) Talk with your printer. With newer presses and chemistries newsprint plants are even moving up to 133 to 150 line screens.
                    Also you can print newsprint on sheetfed press. I have done it. However it would be better to do as >2k suggested and find a higher end paper that resembles newsprint. For that quantity you will find paper being a very small amount of your budget.
                    Good Luck and let us know how it comes out.

Comment

wow, you could do this for 1000 bucks and spend the rest on beer!
                      I work while you are all asleep...

Comment

Try these guys

J&S Printing in Birmingham, AL

I found these comments in a forum--- The paper comes back on 11X17 newsprint, and everyone is pumped because it looks like a real paper, not a newsletter.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                        Working...
                        X