Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• CataclysmX
    Reply to Need advice for logo
    CataclysmX
    What does the organization do? So far its pretty simply and I like it, it seems a bit jagged but maybe that's how it uploaded. I kind of see a D k, and a t just because of how the k connects to the D,...
    Today, 05:43 PM
  • Diggidy
    Graphic Designer for mobile video game
    Diggidy
    We are in need of a Graphic Designer for mobile video game. The game is a 2D platformer style game.
    Please send your resume/website/past work in order to be considered. In return you will be sent...
    Today, 04:30 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    <b>
    That will produce worse results. For example, if you specify the size in which the image displays as 200 x 200 pixels, but you upload a 300 x 300-pixel image, your browser will still need to display that...
    Today, 03:53 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Crisp web graphics, how?
    kemingMatters
    Sorry I'm not familiar with square space, so .svg might not be the answer. Is your MBP at retina model?
    Are you exporting as png from illustrator? have you tried saving for web via photoshop?...
    Today, 03:32 PM
  • Cosmo
    Comment on High School Football Program
    Cosmo
    Yeah. I can't tell you how many ads I got that was literally four or five photographs cut up with scissors taped to a piece of notebook paper with barely legible handwriting on it. I was always so tempted...
    Today, 03:32 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quark files not ripped properly

Okay, my first real question. I do prepress for a lil' sign and digital print house. We had a client bring us in a 4 page quark layout. (Why use Quark for a four page layout, I don't know.) However we exported the file out as a pdf. When we openned it in Onyx and ripped the thing, everything seemed fine. Until we printed on our Mutoh Falcon Outdoor II. The colors were quite a bit off. On a whim, I openned the pdf in Photoshop and saved it as a Tiff (I did embed a 1998Adobe RGB profile). Now the colors look fine. Anyone know why this is? Is it just a profile issue? how come this has never happened before? And it's been a while since I've used Quark, but how does Quark handle color profiles?

On a final note, anyone know of Excellent resources on colors and profiling?

Thanks,
    Carter
    My Site

If not quark, what layout software would you use for a 4 page layout? When you say the colors were off, do you mean they didn't look like they do on your screen? If that's the case, that's because your screen is RGB, when printing to a 4 color press, you would use CMYK mode. Embedding an RGB mode would make the colors print as you see them on your screen. I have used tifs with embedded profiles to get a richer black and never had any trouble.
    “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

No, the colors didn't match the sample. however, when I utilized the photoshop tiff work around, the colors came out okay.

For a client who only needs four different things printed up, I would go with photoshop or illustrator (pdf, tiff, eps, etc...). Quark is really no good, however when dealing with large mutiple page layouts (i.e. magazine, or catalogues) it has great purposes. I just think it's not a great program for layouts especially on a small scale. Plus it does create too many problems with large format printing. It's probably great for other types of print, I have no experience in that however.
      My Site

Comment

btw, I do understand the difference between RGB and CMYK... that wasn't the problem.
        My Site

Comment

Originally posted by carter the artist
          btw, I do understand the difference between RGB and CMYK... that wasn't the problem.
          Sorry,
          I totally did not mean to insult your intelligence. I just wasn't sure where you were coming from when you said the colors were off. Do you use a color match proof printer? I'm not an expert on profiles, but I have used quark every day for years to lay out multi paged brochures, ads, and direct mail and only had problems with colors when images weren't formatted in the correct mode.
          “The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level we created them.” Albert Einstein

Comment

Quark is a page builder wether it be one page or a thousand. Build your pages in Quark or InDesign, create your art in Photoshop and Illustrator.
            WYSIWYG

Comment

It's just that, in my experience, Quark isn't a great program for going to print. It adds too much hassle and problems for prepress. For one, RIPS don't utilize Quark files. Which means I have to spend time exporting as a PDF. That's my time. Then we have color issues, as this project did. Clients get all pissed when their projects come out wrong, but we can only work with what comes in. The more that the project is perfected BEFORE it comes to print, the less problems we have going to print.

That's why Quark is not a great program for projects. However, Quark IS a good program with multi page projects due to it's abilities for Style sheets and such. This is why I'm doing pre press work, before I get myself into where I want to be...Designing Ads.

BTW, I didn't so much take offense, I understand. I have to explain why the printer came out with different colors than the clients saw on their screens. It's why I laugh when clients ask us to email a color proof. Now how am I gonna send you a color proof via email?
              My Site

Comment

Originally posted by carter the artist
                That's why Quark is not a great program for projects. However, Quark IS a good program with multi page projects due to it's abilities for Style sheets and such. This is why I'm doing pre press work, before I get myself into where I want to be...Designing Ads.

Quark has never been great, well for a good few years anyway. But Quark or ID will be your workhorses on a large percentage of projects, no stoping that I am afraid.

As mentioned Illy & PS for artwork, ID or Quark for laying em up. So get ready to be a whore to em!
                Only dead fish follow the current...

Comment

If your client is doing 4 different signs at 4 different sizes then Quark is bad. In fact, Quark is bad in any sign shop.

As for printing, large format or otherwise, up until the last 3 years Quark has been the top dog for layout. Printers and prepress guys have been dealing with its nastiness since version 5 (version 4.11 was/is a sweetie-pie, no web stuff to muck up the works and very stable on output). Depending on where you end up in design-world you will probably be using Quark or InDesign for anything over duplex fliers, and even for those. Welcome to prepress. Maybe when you move on you'll remember us little guys.

Comment

Just wait until you get one of those sweet Pagemaker files. Quark in contrast is heaven sent!
                    WYSIWYG

Comment

Oh, trust me PD, That's why I looked for a role, such as prepress before hitting up Y&R. But truthfully, we rarely recieve Quark files. Truthfully we get more messe up Illy files (ex. Pdfs saved in illy with clipping masks or transparencies that Onyx ignores and screws up in the print.) Great fun. But at least I'm learning how not to set my files up for a printer, so they can just print our projects and we can keep going and going and going.
                      My Site

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X