X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking a postscript prepress guru for this question

I know my error is somehow related to quark f#*king up my postscript from the photoshop eps but any help would be appreciated. Illustrator CS2 crashes when parsing this EPS file in Illustrator CS2. ****Important Note: This crash does NOT happen in Illustrator CS1

Here is my work flow:
    1. Export photoshop EPS file in photoshop with vector data (preview tiff 8 bit/pixel & ascii encoding).
    2. Place in quark 6.0. Type set and layout other elements in quark. Export EPS (color, cmyk, no preview, ascii)
    3. I then attempt to open up (parse) that quark EPS in illustrator CS2
      It just crashes.
      (The reason I bring it back into illustrator at all is to 'save as' EPS after converting to outlines of all type for my print bureau).
    I have been doing this in Illustrator CS1 for over a year, literally hundreds of times and no issues, but my computer crashes when parsing the same EPS file in Illustrator CS2.

I know my work flow is strange, but I need it for a quark plug-in we use at our company. Now the same plug-in is available for inDesign I am in the process of migrating all quark work to inDesign so don't dig on me for using the red-head step child that is quark. I have method to my madness.
    Last edited by emel; 03-17-2006, 07:57 PM.

Originally posted by emel
    I know my error is somehow related to quark f#*king up my postscript from the photoshop eps but any help would be appreciated. Illustrator CS2 crashes when parsing this EPS file in Illustrator CS2. ****Important Note: This crash does NOT happen in Illustrator CS1

Here is my work flow:
    1. Export photoshop EPS file in photoshop with vector data (preview tiff 8 bit/pixel & ascii encoding).
    2. Place in quark 6.0. Type set and layout other elements in quark. Export EPS (color, cmyk, no preview, ascii)
    3. I then attempt to open up (parse) that quark EPS in illustrator CS2
      It just crashes.
      (The reason I bring it back into illustrator at all is to 'save as' EPS after converting to outlines of all type for my print bureau).
    I have been doing this in Illustrator CS1 for over a year, literally hundreds of times and no issues, but my computer crashes when parsing the same EPS file in Illustrator CS2.

I know my work flow is strange, but I need it for a quark plug-in we use at our company. Now the same plug-in is available for inDesign I am in the process of migrating all quark work to inDesign so don't dig on me for using the red-head step child that is quark. I have method to my madness.
    Why are you exporting with no preview, and why ascii. Are you on a PC? If not try Binary. Your font size is 2? Did you set this in Quark with no outlines?
    This could be the problem. Size 2 isn't a stock size for arial and is very small and there is a slight chance that could be the cause. As a test try setting that type to a stock size such as 10 or 12, choose binary with preview even if you are using PC and see what happens.
    WYSIWYG

Comment

My font size wasn't even discussed, I don't know where you got size 2 from (or arial for that matter). The vector data in the original photoshop eps is a combination of type and vector shapes. I have been outputting ascii (2 byte-values per pixel vs. 1 byte-value per pixel with binary) because I am on a PC for greater compatibility with our print bureau (they are a mac shop). I have not been outputting (from quark) with a preview to reduce file size, since I am parsing into illustrator to create a new EPS to deliver to the printer. Changing to binary (or clean 8-bit) instead of ascii makes no difference either.

The most frustrating thing is that it still works fine in illustrator CS1.
      Last edited by emel; 03-19-2006, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Adobe must be aware of something like this. If you haven't tried Adobe Tech support (or non support in the past) you should.
        People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by emel
          My font size wasn't even discussed, I don't know where you got size 2 from (or arial for that matter). The vector data in the original photoshop eps is a combination of type and vector shapes. I have been outputting ascii (2 byte-values per pixel vs. 1 byte-value per pixel with binary) because I am on a PC for greater compatibility with our print bureau (they are a mac shop). I have not been outputting (from quark) with a preview to reduce file size, since I am parsing into illustrator to create a new EPS to deliver to the printer. Changing to binary (or clean 8-bit) instead of ascii makes no difference either.

The most frustrating thing is that it still works fine in illustrator CS1.
          You responded exactly the way I thought you would. You're making everything more complicated than it really is even your method of compositing your design (which you also deleted). Call support like Rick says. They will say that if your error message has a font involved then the font is the problem. Even though your older version of software acted a certain way with your workflow doesn't mean that an upgrade is going to benifit you in your work flow any better. When I first read your question you did state Arial as a problem in the error message and it's size is 2. Now when I reread your question Arial isn't mentioned at all or the error message that you posted. Maybe Arial is the problem, period. Why jabber in your question about arial in the error message then when someone responds to your help you state arial has nothing to do with it and that error message is deleted. Are you using Arial in your project or not? Try to deduct a little bit out of what I was advising, try changing the size of your font, try a different font. Mix it up a little. Test things out. Shake it up a bit. But I swear when I read your question you went into detail about your work around in photoshop, Quark, exporting here and there and your error messages that included Arial and its size. Could I be wrong. Did you edit your original question? Am I over worked and getting confused or old? Kool, (moderator) could I be jumping the gun here?
          Last edited by jimking; 03-19-2006, 08:57 AM.
          WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
            Could I be wrong. Did you edit your original question? Am I over worked and getting confused or old? Kool, (moderator) could I be jumping the gun here?
            Yikes Jim, I don't know. emel did edit his first post but it was done over 8 hours before your first response. Is it possible with all the weird font problem questions we have been getting you're confusing his with another post? I'm pretty sure there is a misunderstanding here somewhere.

emel, I don't have a clue about how to solve your problem. It kind of gave me a headache just reading about it LOL.

Comment

I did edit my post, to fix a typo, but I never said anything about arial or font sizing. Maybe you are confusing posts?
              I don't use Arial in my work at all. I am using, if it matters, Futura Md Bt and Futura LtCn Bt.

As far as calling adobe tech support, that was the first thing I did. They told me, and this is no joke, that I "should not use quark" and to use inDesign. At the end of the conversation, they didn't know what was causing the issue, they ended up telling me to keep using illustrator CS1 to parse the EPS since I didn't get any crashing with that old version.

Anyways, until I migrate completely over to inDesign I will keep using CS1 when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool
                Yikes Jim, I don't know. emel did edit his first post but it was done over 8 hours before your first response. Is it possible with all the weird font problem questions we have been getting you're confusing his with another post? I'm pretty sure there is a misunderstanding here somewhere.
                In JimKing's first response he quotes my post verbatum and there is not a mention of Arial or font sizing, he must be mixing it up with another post elsewhere?

Comment

Yep I think I jumped the gun. Working 12 hour days with fonts running out of my ears I must of confused it with another thread or site. I apologize.
                  WYSIWYG

Comment

Heh heh, I been there Jim.

Comment

It must be me banging my head on the keyboard all the time, 24 hours a day!
                      WYSIWYG

Comment

no problems!
                        can't wait till get all this stuff over to inDesign...

Comment

This isn't a solution to your broken workflow, per se, but do you have the ability to create a high-resolution PDF?

Over the years, I've had limited success opening Quark EPS files in Illustrator (some versions will, others won't), however, PDFs at print-resolution seem to work pretty consistently.

You do need the full version of Acrobat to do this, however.

I realize this is a late reply to your post, but hope it helps somehow.
                          "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!" - Ricky Ricardo

Comment

They said they cannot use PDFs and require EPS format, it has something to do with they way they color separate the files - I have asked.

Comment

After step 2- maybe create a ps file from your Quark file - distill into a print ready pdf - open the pdf - create a eps from the pdf file then try opening the eps create from the pdf in Illustrator. Just a thought

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X