Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Kjonbz
    Reply to Is it possible to change document size in Illustrator, like in Photoshop.
    Kjonbz
    Thank you to those that offered good advice to a newbit.
    Today, 01:14 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Dissertation Help!!!
    PrintDriver
    I'm glad you are optimistic about those Huge Projects with High Budgets.
    I've been working on about a dozen HPHB jobs over the past 4 years that are only now coming to completion. Where are you...
    Today, 12:33 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Sign Industry having Student Info Day.
    PrintDriver
    The ISA is sponsoring a student info day at various locations throughout the US on October 3, 2014.
    ‚ÄčIf you are a student, might want to check into this to see if you are able to participate:...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • c_fowler336
    Design Quotes
    c_fowler336
    Hi I have to create a mock quote for uni (I am a student in my last year of study) for design services provided by me - this is for the creation of a wine label, the label is to have experimental type...
    Yesterday, 10:29 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Dissertation Help!!!
    KitchWitch
    Hi 10smp16 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die Lines-Do not print

Can anyone tell me how in InDesign that when creating a piece (i.e.-business card, brochures, etc., etc.) requiring a special die, how do you
    set up your document to show the die line on the screen, but won't print.

To be more clear:
    I had to create a tag for a fire extinguisher which was to be outsourced for the die-cutting. Now, I wanted to show the die-line on screen(say in a PMS spot color), but did not want it to print on paper. Also, when I chose "separations" in the print menu, this die-line's color wasn't an option to check or uncheck. I don't know if this makes sense or not. More or less, this on-screen die-line allows the artist to view exactly where the cuts
    will be made without confusing it with the actual printed piece.

You're right about making the die line a PMS color but it sounds like you have it set as process. Double click on the color swatch and check the color for process or spot. Also, put the die line on its' own layer. Makes it easy to turn off and on. And if you DO need it to print as a 5th color, select "attributes" and set the stroke to overprint. That way you can still print the 4 color separations and have the die line as a fifth color and with it overprinting, it won't interfere with the seps.
    People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

I like to rename the spot color "Die Line" or even "Die Line do not print"

Comment

Thank you for your help...that's exactly what I was looking for. This website is definately a major plus to have.

Comment

yeah if you give it a PMS and just istruct the printer not to print that plate...shouldn't be an issue
          "Even when I'm not at 100%, I'm still 110% better then anyone else!"

Check out my indie comic books at http://www.crycomic.com and http://www.assassinsguild.net/

Comment

I know you can do this in Xpress so it'll probably work in InDesign but I can't find out where. ANyway in Xpress, you can make the dieline object and then with it selected choose Item-Modify and in the Modify box there will be a checkbox that says "Suppress Output." Check that and the dieline will appear on screen but won't print. Another way to do it in both programs is to put the dieline on a separate layer and only printout the other layer(s).

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
            Working...
            X