850 x 2000mm roller banner and PPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 850 x 2000mm roller banner and PPI

Hi guys, just a quick question. I've got a pop up banner with dimension set up as mentioned in title in Illustrator...I've placed a few photos in the centre and the main one, originally 300ppi (3519x1422px) but once scaled up to "banner" size effective ppi becomes 70ppi. I was just wondering if this resolution would be fine once printed? And also, what would be the absolute minimum resolution before looking "pixellated" from a closer viewing distance?

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers
    Attached Files

Have you asked your printer this question?

Depends on the quality of the original photo and the machine it's being printed on.

If the quality of the photo is good and it's being printed on an inkjet spew type printer, you might get away with it.

If the quality of the photo is bad, and/or it's being printed on a lambda, you may not like the result.

If in doubt print it out. ie grab a small piece of it at actual size and print it on any desktop printer on photo paper on high quality. If you like the result, most likely it will be similar on output for resolution (not for color.)

You will see pixels at 25-30ppi. BUT that depends on if the image has been mishandled at any time during it's life. JPG artifacts have a tendency to multiply over time and not all cheap stock is created equal.

Comment

The person or provider who will output the banner is best positioned to specify a minimum resolution, based on knowledge and experience with the output device.

what would be the absolute minimum resolution before looking "pixellated" from a closer viewing distance?
      Closer than what? Viewing distance should be one of the known factors in the equation. Often, you can only "typify" it, but generally, it helps to know how a popup banner will be positioned relative to the exhibit; on the aisle where people can/will walk right up to it, or at the back of a display, where no one can get closer than say, 3 or 4 meters...

Here's a calculator that might help you "ballpark" a minimum resolution: http://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/m...on-calculator/
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

The piece is about what, 36" x 78"?
        While I agree that viewing distance on such a thing is relative to resolution, something that "small" needs to be up close and personal if it has much text on it.

A back-of-booth mural might be fine at 70ppi but a 36" x 78" thing with multiple images and text? Maybe not so much. I'd recommend at least 100 to 150 if the background image is important. At least 150 for any smaller images.
        But that's just me.
        Ask the printer.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post

If in doubt print it out. ie grab a small piece of it at actual size and print it on any desktop printer on photo paper on high quality. If you like the result, most likely it will be similar on output for resolution (not for color.)

You will see pixels at 25-30ppi. BUT that depends on if the image has been mishandled at any time during it's life. JPG artifacts have a tendency to multiply over time and not all cheap stock is created equal.
          That's a good tip, I should have thought of that!

And regarding the viewing distance I think maybe 2-3 meters would be minimum...thanks for the link, that's a pretty handy tool too

I will ask the printers for further details, thanks for the answers guys.

Comment

We would always recommend printing no less than 100dpi for roller banners. 70dpi/ppi should be OK, but always try and resource an image so it's at least 100dpi full size.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X