New Solvent Ink Jet Printers: Mimaki vs Roland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Doe and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by Doe_M View Post
      I'm curious Adam, what printer did you buy and are you happy with its performance.
      Hello Doe,

I did in fact go with the Mimaki CJV-150-75. I use it for printing vectors not imagery.

It prints very well for most jobs, but the metallic cartridge was a disappointment. At first it printed quite metallic but now it mostly comes out grey or dull. I tend to use silver vinyl for jobs that contain lots of silver, likewise for gold.

If you set it to do another overprint, it prints quite well on Metamark M7 Gold and Silver. The white cartridge was a great aid when printing on clear vinyl. It's great as a priming layer.

It's important to always clean around the printhead and station, and to also do nozzle washes at least once a week in my opinion to stop the chance of the printhead misfiring .

Overall, if you want to print mostly CMYK stuff then this printer does a fantastic job in a quick time. However, if printing metallic is a necessity, then look towards the Summa Thermal Resin printers is all I can suggest.

I've had it over a year now and do not regret the purchase, it's brilliant for the majority of our printing.

I guess it all comes down to what you plan on printing and also what kind of media you intend to print on.

If you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them based on my experience.

Comment

That's what I'm hearing all over the industry about that silver ink. It doesn't stay in suspension. Should have a circulator like the white ink.
        The ribbon machines have issues with those ribbons and doing CMYK. If you are doing spots and they are represented by ribbons your good, but start trying CMYK and you can get some pretty gross halftoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Wilson View Post

Hello Doe,

I did in fact go with the Mimaki CJV-150-75. I use it for printing vectors not imagery.

It prints very well for most jobs, but the metallic cartridge was a disappointment. At first it printed quite metallic but now it mostly comes out grey or dull. I tend to use silver vinyl for jobs that contain lots of silver, likewise for gold.

If you set it to do another overprint, it prints quite well on Metamark M7 Gold and Silver. The white cartridge was a great aid when printing on clear vinyl. It's great as a priming layer.

It's important to always clean around the printhead and station, and to also do nozzle washes at least once a week in my opinion to stop the chance of the printhead misfiring .

Overall, if you want to print mostly CMYK stuff then this printer does a fantastic job in a quick time. However, if printing metallic is a necessity, then look towards the Summa Thermal Resin printers is all I can suggest.

I've had it over a year now and do not regret the purchase, it's brilliant for the majority of our printing.

I guess it all comes down to what you plan on printing and also what kind of media you intend to print on.

If you have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them based on my experience.

With what we are doing , graphic design , which includes signae and branding on a vast majority of surfaces, i was looking for something in the line of a CJV-150-75, you go online and read the reviews and they are all great , everything looks good and then you come here and hear the truth.

I dont think however i have read of any perfect solution , not that i know much about printers themselves i outsource my work.

do you have any suggestions ? I would ask the printing services here in my town but u know they arent going to tell me anything.

Comment

The 75 is only a 30" printer/plotter. You will have one devil of a time finding media to feed it.
            The most common media width is 54'' so that will limit your choices. Severely.
            And 54'' means 54''. Not sure why Mimaki makes a machine with a cutoff at 53.5''....

If you are just doing ''stickers'' maybe 30'' is good enough for you.
            Are you going to buy a laminator too?

Again, do your homework and figure out ink, media and maintenance costs to determine if you have the throughput for the machine. $6K more gets you so much more printer. And options. Leasing is an option. Highly advise you get service contract.

And again, while the machine is printing it is not cutting. And while cutting it is not printing. That does not help ROI.

All of my other comments below still apply. Except the fast-4 on the Seiko. Current models are 6 or 7 color. No fast-4 over 4.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X