How should I price laying out a guide book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I price laying out a guide book

I have to give a quote on the layout and design of a 180 hard cover, high-end, glossy, regional guidebook. It's like a 180 page hard cover magazine. This is a yearly tourism guidebook for the region and will take months to gather and get to print each year.

I am caught between per hour and per page. I would prefer to quote per page.

They are furnishing the InDesign template that has been used for the past issues. I will have to fit their content into the template. I'll have to place stock photos to fill space in order to maintain flow of content.

There will be over 100 ads. Different sizes. (I don't think a tiny ad is any easier to create than a full page ad...maybe harder). Some will be supplied by the advertisers, but I will have to create a lot of them. I will also have to edit some ads to update from issue to issue.

They will supply all content and stock images if needed.

I'm having a really hard time quoting this project due to coming in in the 10th year of publication. I have no idea what they have paid in the past.

Here are the quotes they are asking for:
    1. They want a quote for the actual laying out of supplied content into the template. I am thinking cost per page
    2. A quote for creating ads (cost per ad)
    3. A quote for editing existing ads (cost per ad)
    4. A quote for creating a new hard cover and spine.

They actually contacted me for the quote. I have been the graphic design / printing industry for over 35 years, and this would not be a hard job for me to do, just very time consuming. But, I am afraid I'll price myself out of this job and I would love to do this book from now on.

If anyone could give me some help, I would so greatly appreciate it.

Blessings,
    KFB

Hi kfbrite, welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

---

I would definitely quote per page, per ad created, and per updated ad. As for the covers and spine I'd opt to roll that into the quote per page, and I'd do that by say it quoting the total number of pages as a whole, add in the anticipated time to do the cover and a little padding for unknowns.

From personal experience, editing an existing ad, when you do not have working files for them, can be just as time consuming as creating a new one. I might also suggest pricing for resizing ads and preflighting them (making sure they're to spec) because it's inevitable that you'll have ads that don't meet spec and ads that get revised and sent again, etc. In otherwords handling 100 ads will probably be more like handling 120+ unless the sales reps and clients are on point.
    Last edited by kemingMatters; 08-09-2016, 03:50 PM.
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Thanks kemingMatters!

That helped a lot.

What do you suggest as a cost per page? I see anything from $X to $X. The whole book is like a 180 page magazine. Lots of articles, reviews ad images. I can't believe anyone would do a book for $X per page unless it's all text, but you know how some of the freelance "graphic design" (and I say that lightly) exploit the inexperienced. But, $X would put me way out of the park and not even fair .

I just want this freelance job, but I have to price it right.

HELP! :/
      Last edited by KitchWitch; 08-09-2016, 05:55 PM. Reason: No pricing discussion

Comment

Go back and look through those rules again. We do not allow discussion of specific pricing. You can certainly discuss whether or not jobs should be priced by the hour, by the day, by the job, etc., but no specific prices/costs.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Weeeeellllll Excuuuuuuuuse Me!

You could at least say it with a little less attitude. GOOOOOOOODDDDDD BYYYYYYYY!

Comment

Originally posted by kfbrite View Post
            Weeeeellllll Excuuuuuuuuse Me!

You could at least say it with a little less attitude. GOOOOOOOODDDDDD BYYYYYYYY!
            What attitude? The rules were posted for you and you were reminded of them since you had apparently not bothered to read them before posting specific pricing info. Sorry you don't appreciate the rules, but to throw a tantrum claiming some perceived offense is a bit immature, IMO, not that my opinion matters. I sincerely hope you find what you seek, somewhere else.

Goodbye and good luck.
            Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Even though you got all huffy over forum policy.

If you feel your price is fair then that's the price you should stick with. If you think it's too little you're most likely going to resent the client and/or project and probably not put in your best effort; that makes it a lose-lose for you and your client.
              Design is not decoration.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X