Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canva adequate for designing brochures for print?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Canva adequate for designing brochures for print?

Hello! I am totally new to graphic design and have been asked to design new brochures at work. Canva is the only tool I can use for this at present, I have started learning Adobe CC.

I am concerned about the final quality of the brochures when they go to print. Does anyone have experience using Canva for this purpose and what was the result?

Thanks!

Hi Berta and welcome to GDF.

I've never heard of Canva, sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

I had never heard of Canva until your post prompted me to have a look. The "amazingly simple" drag/drop, touchscreen interface is nicely demonstrated, and plenty of printed-material templates are presented, ostensibly geared for business purposes, creating the impression that the app is a viable tool for producing production-worthy, print-destined design. But frankly I am quite skeptical on several levels.
      • Print design can get very messy in the hands of the untrained, efficacy of the tools notwithstanding. And so, being "totally new to graphic design," I expect you'll make critical, and potentially costly, mistakes regardless of whether Canva facilitates the production of print-worthy files.
      • From a technical standpoint, software tools capable of producing real-world design cannot be "amazingly simple." That very notion is rather self-contradicting.
      • Having not tried the app myself, I won't make assumptions with respect to the depth of its capabilities, but it is obviously marketed to non-designers, and the video demonstrates nothing in the way of professional level page layout features like color management, spot color, guides/grids, bleed/slug/marks, layers, masters, styles, alignment, paragraph composition, tables, etc.
      Go ahead and learn the requisite Adobe CC applications, and hopefully you'll quickly outgrow Canva, but if you have no formal design training, you really should get some of that too before proceeding with design of materials that will represent your company's brand in the marketplace. It's a bit frightening that the company takes its responsibility to the brand so lightly as to put it in the hands of a "totally new" amateur.

Get competent help. Be cautious. Go slowly. Good luck.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

I have never heard of this either.

I would highly suggest you call the printer who is going to be doing the brochure for you to see if they've heard of it and can instruct you how to handle color, profile, and making a PDF they can output.

Get a proof.

Don't forget your bleeds and safeties.

Comment

As a printer, I would simply ask:
          - Does it support CMYK?
          - Does it make a usable PDF file?

After that, you take your chances.

Definitely get a proof.

Comment

Just from the lack of details on file handling, what formats it supports and what formats it outputs, the program is not at all geared to the pro environment. I wouldn't be particularly caring how easy it is to use or how many templates/fonts/whizbangs are available, I'd be more worried about how you go about printing it. A lot of these low end things are RGB. Many don't make usable PDFs. Many don't have an interface that will make it easy to determine image resolution; and heaven only knows what its transparency engine will do in a print rip.

Comment

Although I've never used Canva, I'm a little bit familiar with it because our social media person creates various graphics for use on Facebook, instagram, etc. She's not a graphic designer, and Canva lets her create nice-looking odds and ends that she uses for various things, which is fine.

One day, she decided to try her luck with a Canva brochure thinking she would surprise us all with her abilities. Umm, what a disaster. Everything was low-resolution. All the RGB data had been converted to CMYK with all the black text being composed of all four process colors. Vector information had been converted into low-res images. There was no bleed. No dot gain adjustment for the uncoated paper she wanted to use. I could go on with more details, but needless to say, we needed to redo it in InDesign.

In all fairness, I don't know if the fault was hers or Canva's. For all I know Canva can handle all these things if the person working with it is actually aware of the issues involved. Really though, that's the problem. Amateurs with no experience don't know when they're making fatal mistakes since the concepts and requirements of print are completely unfamiliar to them. It's as if they think that arranging stuff on a monitor to look nice is somehow all it takes to makes it print-ready.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
                Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
                Glitchin
                Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
                Today, 03:55 PM
              • Glitchin
                Comment on Logo Feedback
                Glitchin
                I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
                Today, 03:24 PM
              • Glitchin
                Reply to Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
                Today, 02:58 PM
              • Glitchin
                Comment on Critique Please?
                Glitchin
                Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
                Today, 02:54 PM
              • PrintDriver
                Reply to Portfolio usage of work
                PrintDriver
                Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
                Today, 12:42 PM
              GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X