pdf font issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdf font issue

Hello folks... Having an odd font issue I was hoping to get some suggestions for. Details are below.

I have a customer supplied pdf file generated from word.

When we print in single pages or an imposed file certain letters get dropped off the print. Usually the letter " I " for some reason. but not all the time.
    I can send this file to newer printers in the shop and prints fine. When sent to our BW machine this happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks..

Hi alwaysasap, welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

---

Out of curiosity, was the file created on a mac or pc? and are you printing from a mac or pc?
    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Sounds like some kind of postscript error.

Comment

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        MS word to PDF isn't always a winning combo, my guess is the fonts aren't embedded properly

• PrintDriver
        PrintDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm just thinking back to the days when we had older printers running lower versions of postscript and would occasionally have dropout of some kind. Just wondering how old this B&W printer is.

• kemingMatters
        kemingMatters commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't seen that issue in a long time, thank the printing gods

I would convert the PDF to a high-quality JPEG file and print it that way.

That may not be the correct solution but it will definitely get the job done.
      jessecookedesign.com

Comment

Hi, I think it is a driver issue. When printing to the older BW machine, it happens but the exact same file print fine to our newer colour equipment. And in my experience MS to anything is not a winning combo. Thanks for the help all.

Comment

Originally posted by JCookeDesign View Post
          I would convert the PDF to a high-quality JPEG file and print it that way.

That may not be the correct solution but it will definitely get the job done.
          Yeah, applying JPEG compression is definitely a wrong move. And, you'd get a better result with less effort just by using Acrobat's Print As Image option; Print > Advanced > Print As Image
          I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

• kemingMatters
            kemingMatters commented
            Editing a comment
            great tip!

• JCookeDesign
            JCookeDesign commented
            Editing a comment
            That's good to know!

One way you can work around it (and I always recommend work-arounds as a last step) is to place the PDF into Illustrator. Then go Object>Flatten Transparency and click "Convert All Text To Outlines"
          http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

As this was a 300 page book it was a little difficult to try some of the above options. As image did work but took forever to rip and was slow to print. This particular driver has never given us issues before, funny how things just seem to stop being as effective as they used to be...

Comment

You mighta coulda opened in acrobat and optimized it using a different PDF compatibility level. Depending on how old the machine is and its driver updates, you might not be able to read the higher level Compatibility levels.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X