Show customer Pantones used in design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show customer Pantones used in design

I am wondering if there is a setting or plug-in in Indesign or acrobat in which I can automatically place/show the Pantones I used in my design. Right now I have to draw out boxes and label the Pantones underneath when sending a customer a layout/proof and just looking for a faster way to do it. Thanks in advance.

Hi Northeast Ink and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If you are using more than 4 Pantones on a single piece, there's a good chance you are doing it wrong....
      Just sayin'......

If color is real important to the client, I attach chips from an actual Pantone chip book and FedEx the layout with the chips to the client. Having them print it out on their desktop inkjet isn't going to show them the right colors.

There might be scripts out there. I quick check showed me at least one in development but I didn't have time to look in depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Northeast Ink View Post
        Right now I have to draw out boxes and label the Pantones underneath when sending a customer a layout/proof and just looking for a faster way to do it.
        I often do much the same thing. I'll even do it that way when sending files to printers -- just so that at a glance the printer can tell what colors are involved. The only problem I've found has nothing to do with speed (I mean, how much time does it take to create, color and label a square box?), instead it has to do with having to create a separate page for those electronic color swatches since, because they're outside the image area, PDF crops them out of the layout.

Also, like PrintDriver mentioned, if the client is really fussy about the exact colors (few of our clients are), sending them actual chips from a Pantone book addresses the issue in a way that isn't subject to monitor and laser/inkjet inaccuracies.

Comment

If you delete all unused colors out of your color palette, the printer can see at a glance what pantones are used in a document.

Though it is nice to have a ''standards'' page if the project is large and uses a lot of colors.
          When we do educational exhibits, we do up a whole sample board with Pantone chips, laminate chips, paint colors, wood stains, flooring, carpet, any custom materials like corian or 3-form... Just to keep it all straight. When you have 6 or so of those projects going on, it sure helps.

Comment

I usually get my swatch books from Hyatts Art Supply. You end up paying less than buying them direct from Pantone.
            You can also get individual pages (Pantone should print 1 whole page of just 185c chips...)
            Plus you can get a really swanky Pantone color(s) of the year mug right now (if you are into pink and blue........) because the cost of the chipbooks more than meets the free cup $ quota. LOL.

PS, I don't work for Hyatts. They just give great service and happy to pass them along.

Comment

Thanks PrintDrive, I've been searching for a solution for a while, never even knew about Chip Pages. Many thanks.

Comment

Thank PrintDrive, great article

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                  If you delete all unused colors out of your color palette, the printer can see at a glance what pantones are used in a document.
                  If all the printers we worked with were as conscientious as you and your place of employment, I'd leave it at that.

We do a lot of work with government agencies that are typically required to use lowest-bid printers and, in a couple of cases, the print shop at a state prison. Two weeks ago, for example, a 3-color (Pantone) stationery print job was delivered to us from the prison print shop. In the box was 10,000 letterheads neatly wrapped in plastic. They had neglected to print anything on them except the black plate.

I called them up.The customer service inmate I talked to looked at their job envelope and informed me that they printed it on a press used only for CMYK, so only the black printed. They had actually run 10,000 letterheads through the press and shipped them without a single inmate speaking up to say that somebody had made a mistake.

This is sort of a worst-case example, but if I've learned anything, it's that printer competency can rarely be taken for granted. The little bit of extra time taken to make something brain-dead obvious is usually worth the effort. Even then, it sometimes doesn't work.

Comment

You know what is really scary?
                    When a designer changes the CMYK sliders on a Pantone color and doesn't rename it.
                    This happens far more often than it should these days.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnguyen View Post
                      Thank PrintDrive, great article

Hi Richard and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
                      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X