Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with outdoor billboard

Hello,

It's my first outdoor billboard project and I need some help. I need to make a 15.05m x 8.80m (its about the 592.51in x 346.45in) outdoor billboard and I don't know how many PPI I should use? How big should be bleed for such big project. Hope you can help me

Welcome juliux

You should call the print vendor producing the piece for the needed specs.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

^Right.

The only correct answer in every case like this is to ask the printer.

In fact, as a matter of professional policy, your quotation and acceptance of the job should be contingent upon advance receipt of specifications you've confirmed are within your understanding and capabilities.
      Last edited by HotButton; 12-07-2016, 06:26 AM.
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Your client should have specified who they are using as a billboard company because you will need to know the size of the billboard structure you will be putting the graphic on. They are NOT all the same size. A lot of these billboard companies have their own print service as well. You can't just call up any old large format printer and ask them to guess. Here in the US, they are, for the most part owned by one of about 4 communications companies that have a sort of monopoly on the system. You work within their system or you don't work at all.

Definitely call the ''printer'' Or check the billboard company's online art submission guidelines. YOU MUST DO THIS because you need two very important dimensions.
        Get the bleed dimension (which will be many inches or cm)
        and get the SAFETY dimensions (which also could be many inches or cm)

Do not send files out without knowing those two sets of dimensions.

You also want to ask them what format they want their files. Most large format printers want native files, not PDFs, so if you lay this up in InDesign, be sure to outline your fonts and send all image links.

Be sure to ask if they prefer Illustrator or Indesign. Some do have a preference.

Word of warning, Illustrator can be very frustrating when working with large image files. Indesign would be the better choice, but always use what they tell you to use. If you didn't bill enough for the time to be watching the little spinning ball in Illustrator, let that be a lesson to you. Avoiding transparency effects makes Illustrator a little smoother to use at large sizes.

As for ppi, as a general rule for billboards, you build your file at 1:10 @ 300ppi so the output will be 30ppi at size. Some billboard printers will ask for less so do not be surprised if you see numbers in the 20-25ppi range. Remember, this is at 100ft at 60mph for about 4-6 seconds average.
        If using Illustrator, check that your Effects>Document Raster Effects setting is set properly for scaling.
        Last edited by PrintDriver; 12-07-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I'm only going to echo what others have said already.

Talk to your printer!

It could save you many dollars, headaches and hair follicles.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mixlikes
            Reply to ​What is your favorite forum software?
            mixlikes
            Favorite forum software:
            1. phpBB
            2. MyBB
            3. Vanilla Forum
            4. XenForo
            5. Simple Machines Forum
            Today, 03:43 AM
          • Caleson
            Reply to Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion
            Caleson
            Actually, I was referring to applying for employment. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not it would be a good idea, but I think overall, if the card is pretty creative, it could serve as a memorable token....
            Yesterday, 09:59 PM
          • fredz0003
            Logo critique for my personal blog
            fredz0003
            Hi, I am new to this forum. A bit about myself I am a programmer, and trying to build a professional looking blog. I've done web dev before, but I've never considered myself the artistic type. I followed...
            Yesterday, 04:57 PM
          • B
            Reply to Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
            B
            Of the options you mentioned, upgrading the RAM will make the most difference for the cost. Eight megabytes of RAM is almost a bare minimum when working with Adobe's graphics applications -- 16 is even...
            Yesterday, 04:56 PM
          • mrturner
            Any Tech Geeks please help me?!
            mrturner
            I am currently doing my graphics design work on my laptop which specs are listed below, It really does struggle to handle software like photoshop and illustrator. Do I, upgrade RAM? An 8GB ram stick for...
            Yesterday, 04:16 PM
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X