Printing a brochure from Photoshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing a brochure from Photoshop

I am making a brochure for my friend's business and I'm using Photoshop. I know InDesign is a much better option for this, however I only have Photoshop and this is so NOT my forte! I don't mess around with design work that actually has to be printed and made to look nice, but she has bugged me for weeks now to help her, so I designed a tri-fold brochure and now I have to print it.
    I wanted to print with bleed, but we are too pressed for time now and she wants to print through Staples and have a white border. Fine...whatever! I'm ready to have this over with! :-) My question is...what do I need to do to my Photoshop file to send it over to Staples for print? I truly don't understand a lot about Photoshop, especially when it comes to converting over to PDF for print. Do I merge all of the layers? Group them together? From what I'm reading, I need to rasterize the layers? Then what...?? I know for most of you these are probably ridiculous questions, but I'm truly in the dark with this stuff! Someone...anyone...?? I need all the help I can get!
    Thanks so much in advance!

Hi Hlequire and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.

Have you called Staples and asked them what they want you to send? That would be the first step IMO.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Yeah, you are going to have to talk to the Staples store where your friend wants them printed.
      Good thing you want a white border. They can do those in-store.
      Staples website is absolutely useless for finding out any sort of information on file set up.
      They are pretty much used to seeing just about every type of wrong way to do things. They aren't necessarily of a mind to fix things that will print wrong.
      Get a proof.

Comment

If you can make sure your blacks are 100% black, that may help, 8.5x11, CMYK mode at 300 dpi and save as a Photoshop PDF. Choose PDF/x-1a:2001, (make sure Optimize for Fast Web Preview is off), Compression: Do Not Downsample, Output: Convert to Destination: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. Brochure panels are not technically even, so if you can keep crucial info away from the folds, that's good. I suspect that Staples will not care. http://www.universalprinting.com/foldingguides.aspx

Comment

If you care, check the paper and fold it yourself to see if it is with the grain and it doesn't crack. The one and only time I used Staples it came back a mess with terrible cracking on the folds.

Comment

^Right. Your typical office-grade sheet-papers have a longitudinal grain, so the folds of a so-called tri-fold brochure (stupid name since there's only 2 folds, and it's more a pamphlet than a brochure), break across it. Add some areas of solid ink/toner on those against-the-grain folds, and you get unsightly cracks. The client's standards or expectations may be low enough to tolerate it, and/or you can design around it, but it's one of the many things that can be unexpectedly disappointing about office store output.
            Coming to you from sunny America, where freedom, solvency, and now the presidency,
            are all unsurreptitiously counterfeited for your entertainment.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
              Reply to Illustrator - This Logo - HOW TO?? HELP!
              PrintDriver

Looks like a gradient to me.
              You can muck around with the blend tool all day. It is the wrong tool for the job....
              Today, 07:55 PM
            • salsa
              Reply to Feedback on Beer Bottle Designs
              salsa
              The fonts are different. Were you able to get the same typeface that was used on the originals? I think it would make them look even more consistent, like they were designed at the same time, if you can...
              Today, 01:39 PM
            • Blober
              How much should i charge?
              Blober
              I am expirienced graphic designer, working on android and ios app design for local mobile development company. By bosses wanted to try some off work project and i made whole app design mockup with instructions...
              Today, 01:08 PM
            • GDFundamentals
              Reply to Personal rebranding: feedback please
              GDFundamentals
              Hi, usually I try to get inspirired by other logos in the same industry. Pinterest is a very good resource for that. I've seen that a lot of photographers use their initials also & they add some photographic...
              Today, 10:28 AM
            • DesignHorse
              Photoshop 3d render photographs and product 3d packaging
              DesignHorse
              Hi i want to learn 3d render photographs so they sort of popping out of the picture, and also want to learn product packaging. Im a seller on Amazon.com and i would like to do the 3d render and packaging...
              Today, 10:04 AM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X