Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing in 4C vs 2C - HELP!

Hi everyone,
    My factory (in china) is printing some test boxes. The package looks to be 2C. It's black and green (with white). There is a color lifestyle image that has a washed out green effect so it is also green. The factory has gone to print it and has indicated that the lifestyle image is 4C. They sent back a revised file to print as 2C and the lifestyle image is a completely different shade of green. I told them to print the original file but just print it as 2C. Any advice?

See attached for reference.
    Thanks,
    JP
    Attached Files

Is this a design you sent to them? To print an image in 2 colors, it would have to be a duotone, or perhaps a grayscale image with a spot-color swatch applied in a page layout app. Judging by the saturation level of the original image, I'd say it is likely they were correct that it was not configured to print in 2 colors.
    I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

The image on the left is definitely 4-color. I can see it on my production monitor. It looks like a green tint was applied to a fairly light-valued full color image.

When printing 2 color, you are printing with 2 spot inks.
      In your case, Black and Green.
      If you need a different green for the image from the green you are already printing elsewhere on the box, you need to specify a 3rd spot color.
      Or rework the file so the green is used in varying screen tints.

Comment

Ok. The image on the left is a crop of what was sent. I agree now that I look up close that it is 4C. The one on the right is what the factory sent back to make it 2C. It is clearly an entirely different green which is not ok when you see the green across the entire package.
        1) Can I just tell someone to print a 4C color as 2C or does the file actually need reworking
        2) If it must be reworked... What is the more 'clear' way to change the image to 2C. Rework the green in varying tints or go grayscale with spot-color swatch?

Thanks,
        JP

Comment

The factory sent the attached file showing the revised images. THESE greens look the same. I know that colors look entirely different on monitors but I'm also dealing with China so feel I need to question everything. Would the initial pdf file look 'off' as per my original image but this one looks 'ok'? Should I re-do the file here or 'trust' that the green circle will be the correct green.

Attached Files

Comment

Did you specify a Pantone? Or any other match system used for mixing ink for spot color printing?
            And a delta E you would accept on the color?
            And get a proof or drawdown?

You cannot judge color on the monitor.
            If you redo the file, do you know how to set it up properly for 2 spot color printing? (if you are the one who created the original file...)

Comment

This exercise of judging the green output on-screen is really of very little worth. We can answer your questions, but we're in no better position than you (worse, actually), to know whether the green will meet your expectations. Until you see the actual printed box, you can't be certain whether (you'll think) the green, printed on the box, is correct. We here reading your posts will never know, unless you tell us after the fact.

There are a lot of variables, not the least of which are the color and finish of the box stock itself. Did you choose/specify the green ink, and if so, did you take the substrate color and finish into account, and did you use a matching system the printer in China also uses and understands? That's really all you can do.
              I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Yes, i have specified the pantone and yes, I have advised all printing, material & finish specs.
                Any additional feedback on these questions is appreciated:
                1) Can I just tell someone to print a 4C color as 2C or does the file actually need reworking? To answer your question: i am not familiar with 2 spot color printing.
                2) If it must be reworked... What is the more 'clear' way to change the image to 2C. Rework the green in varying tints or go grayscale with spot-color swatch?

Comment

1) No, the file has to actually output only the 2 colors.
                  2) You can apply your spot color swatch to a grayscale copy of the image, but personally, I always HATE the result when this is done. It very heavy-handedly applies the spot color based on white-in-the-image=100% spot color. It just about always comes out looking like a alien film negative, or worse if you ask me. The right way would be to make a duotone in Photoshop. This offers much more pleasant-looking results, and the opportunity to control the curve against which the spot color is applied.

All that said, I got the impression the "proofs" they were sending came from their conversion or rework to produce 2-color output.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Yes, this is their conversion... we're a bit rushed prioro to CNY. The good news is this is a proof so it's good to know duotone is a better option if it doesn't come out ok and we need to re-do it state side. Trying to make sure what I get isn't too off. Thanks!!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• adamlevine
                      Games in this Christmas
                      adamlevine
                      Games in this Christmas
                      I am planning to organize play with his family during Christmas break. Can someone give me the idea about the game? The venue is indoors or outdoors
                      Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                    • PrintDriver
                      Reply to Advice on simple banking-style design
                      PrintDriver
                      Too many words.
                      I grew up playing text only adventure games. The banking was always the easiest part. You put your loot into whatever passed for a ''bank'' and kept on playing.

For...
                      Yesterday, 08:09 PM
                    • GreyOsprey
                      Protecting from unauthorized use by a school, when parent's hired me for the work?
                      GreyOsprey
                      Hey all,

I searched for any article like this, however found none. I'm figuring that is because of the strange nature of this project.

I was approached by one of the parent's...
                      Yesterday, 06:35 PM
                    • Splashsky
                      Advice on simple banking-style design
                      Splashsky
                      So, for a little background, I'm working on a text-based web game as a passion project. I'm no designer; far from it. I'm working on the banking feature of the game, which as a few features. The banking...
                      Yesterday, 12:10 PM
                    • PrintDriver
                      Comment on QuarkXPress 2017 introduced
                      PrintDriver
                      Hi wcali, nice rant. A lot of the software companies are forgetting their main purpose in life.
                      The Output.
                      As a printer, I have been going round and round with Adobe over features they have...
                      Yesterday, 08:46 AM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X