Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you have to worry about dot gain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you have to worry about dot gain?

Basically what the title says, when do i have to worry about dot gain? Or with what types of images, only raster? Or vector as well? I have this design which is going to be printed on uncoated paper, and I wondered if it would be affected by dot gain... it's all vector: http://i.imgur.com/QNDebe1.jpg

Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by VLcKo23; 02-20-2017, 06:17 AM.

Uncoated paper will be affected more than coated paper by dot gain. The percentages depend on a lot of variables but if you have anything in CMY or K above about 85% it will fill in solid, and below about 15% it will disappear.

With other percentages a 50% cyan will go to perhaps 60-65% which will change the colour noticeably, so the green in your vector graphic will be affected.

In these cases it is best if you can to ask the printer to run a test print on the actual paper. If this is unfeasible, ask them about dot gain and adjust your colours. You should in any case provide the printer with a colour proof for them to match.
    Last edited by StudioMonkey; 02-20-2017, 06:47 AM.
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Dot gain is all about the media you are printing on.
      Like StudioMonkey said, uncoated papers are most affected, but all materials should be suspect until you know them.

Dot gain affects everything on the page. Images aren't immune to it. Typography is very susceptible to it. If you have tiny type or thin type or type with very fragile serifs, that type may fill in and become illegible. Even a tiny bit of dot gain on knocked out serifed text can lead to unintended consequences.

Ask the printer.
      Get a proof.

In some cases, I like dot gain. I do a lot of fabric graphics. While the dot gain isn't much, it's enough that I know I can get away with a lot when it comes to image resolution.

Comment

Thanks for the valuable info!

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Glitchin
          Reply to What kind and which book would it be wise to spend on?
          Glitchin
          Work for money design for love by David Airey and Know Your Onions: Graphic Design by Drew De Soto are good books for freelancers if your just starting out in the industry.

Also Pretty Much...
          Today, 03:55 PM
        • Glitchin
          Comment on Logo Feedback
          Glitchin
          I'm confused. This is one of your designs from your original post right? I meant if you could post an image of the logo the client liked, it might help. "They provided me a Logo they want it...
          Today, 03:24 PM
        • Glitchin
          Reply to Critique Please?
          Glitchin
          This is the latest version. I have thickened the CF and lowered the weight of the sound....
          Today, 02:58 PM
        • Glitchin
          Comment on Critique Please?
          Glitchin
          Hey thanks for the feedback.

I have tried what you're suggesting with shapes rather than lines, but it didn't work for me.

That's the challenge, making it looking like CF whilst...
          Today, 02:54 PM
        • PrintDriver
          Reply to Portfolio usage of work
          PrintDriver
          Nice article B, and illustrates my point about being an LLC or a sole proprietor. The LLC is a business entity separate from your personal life. With sole proprietorship, all of your belongings and assets...
          Today, 12:42 PM
        GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
        Working...
        X