Color Upgrade on Spreads/Sheets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Upgrade on Spreads/Sheets

I need some help with correctly setting up the layout to maximize color upgrades.

The layouts I have done, so far, have always worked with color upgrades on a one spread (two pages) or two spreads (per sheet -- two spreads, four pages). I spoke with the printer for a new project (new to me) and asked how they do color upgrades. She answered "four pages," was quiet for a bit, then added that they also charge an upgrade per sheet, and they print 16 pages per sheet.

First question: That means 8 pages per side (four spreads), double-sided equals 16 pages, right??

The layout is for a saddle stitched, 8.5"x11" page (17"x11" spreads), with self cover. For example, my first layout has a total of 32 pages (including cover). With the 16 pages per sheet, that would mean my first four spreads would be the color upgrade, correct?? Then, for color upgrade, it would run in four-spread increments?? When color is done this way, does upgrade price apply to both sides of one spread, or must the 4 pages be on two separate spreads?

Also, could someone explain why there are two separate color upgrade charges?? I thought one paid for the entire sheet to be upgraded, but this printer charges per sheet and per 4 pages.

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!!!

What do you mean by a color ''upgrade?''
    Why is the printer making the changes?
    Spot colors?
    If it is a matter of changing an existing thing to run with a different color separation, there would be a charge to change the colors and a charge to process new plates for the whole sheet.
    I think.
    Not quite following what you are asking.

Comment

Yeah, what's a color upgrade?
      I'd rather be killed than come to your party, but if you don't invite me, I'll kill myself.

Comment

Hi Talk35 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
        Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

I assume a "color upgrade" is the printer charging extra for 4-color process on certain pages, right? If that's the case, extra plates need to be burned for 4-color along with extra ink, clean-up, paper waste, etc. -- especially if it's a multi-color press that isn't always set up for four-color.

Honestly, though, different printers have different pricing structures for these kinds of things. Printers are free to charge for services in any way they choose. One might think that if there's a 4-color page and a B&W page imposed right next to it on the same plate, the printer just ought to allow you to use color on the B&W page as well, but like I said, that's up to printers to decide how they charge for things based on whatever criteria they might have. So all this being the case, you'd probably be best off directing your questions to your printer. If you're not happy with how they charge you for color, shop around for another printer.

The printers I typically work with on publications make color available across signatures, which, at least to me, makes more sense than page-by-page charges. Since 4-color work has, in many ways, become the standard, it's really quite rare any longer that I don't have 4-color throughout. For me, it's mostly just the aqueous (or whatever) coated covers and pages requiring spot treatments that incur extra charges.

Comment

Perhaps taking a former black and white page to color? That's why it would be in 4s...
            And definitely why there is a per sheet assumed ''plate'' charge.

Comment

• B
              B commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I didn't notice the per-sheet part of the explanation, which makes sense.

Originally posted by KitchWitch View Post
            Hi Talk35 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
            I attempted to follow the rules, but please let me know if I did something wrong!

Comment

• KitchWitch
              KitchWitch commented
              Editing a comment
              You didn't. Like the post says, every new member gets the links.

By color upgrade, I mean the printer charges $ for black/white, and $$ for 4-color. Color costs more than black/white.

I do not decide the printer, I only do layout. I am sorry I confused the situation with attempting to understand the subject (that was for my own person interest). I was looking for some help with clarification of how the pages/spreads are printed on the sheets, so that I could do the layout to minimize cost, but I will figure it out myself.

For all those who posted, thank you for your time.

Comment

LIke B said, every printer costs things out differently.
              If you have a sales rep you can talk to at this place you use, they would be about the only one that could tell you how to minimize costs within their work flow.

Comment

Originally posted by talk35 View Post
                I do not decide the printer, I only do layout. I am sorry I confused the situation with attempting to understand the subject (that was for my own person interest). I was looking for some help with clarification of how the pages/spreads are printed on the sheets, so that I could do the layout to minimize cost, but I will figure it out myself.
                I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you're asking about imposition, the printer determines that.

If you don't know what imposition is, it's the arrangement of how the pages are printed on a sheet of paper so that when it's folded up and trimmed, all the pages will be in the right order.

If for example, you have a self-covered publication with a 4-color process cover, the imposition could very well mean that there will also be color available on other pages that print next to it on the sheet of paper but that will ultimately be positioned elsewhere in the publication. Only your printer can tell you where those pages are and how to plan your job accordingly.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                Working...
                X