Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Set of pre configured and sized .psds for printing material?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set of pre configured and sized .psds for printing material?

Hey, bothers and sisters!

Despite the fact I have an graduation on Graphic Design seven years before, I never worked too much with this craft, because life took me to other places and work with other areas! Because of that, I consider myself a mediocre desginer technically, sadly! However, woking with graphic design is a reality for me, right now! That means that I need to improve in this craft!

I count with you guys and ladies, if you feel in your heart you can help me!

That said, lets go to what I'm struggling right now!

I have to do some basic printed material for a company. Besides knowing I have to do it with 300dpi and CMYK, I always had problems configuring and preparing the documents for printing. And I know this is super important, because of cut, after printing!

In an ideal world, if someone knows a set of pre configured .psds of the most common printed stuff where I can open and start with everything already done, this can be cool, for urgency matters (and I would probably be able to understand and learn, if I see it done right)!

But if such a thing doesn't exist, maybe if you guys have some video tutorial of someone doing it to share! Or maybe someone here that know how to deal with this kind of stuff pretty easily!

I don't want to sound lazy, because of course, I have Google, but I already tried and maybe I'm not looking for the right keywords or, what I find, I couldn't learn from it! Not sure!

But I will really appreciate your help or any tips!

Thanks for you time, talented humans!

- Luís Fernando

PS.: I'm from Brazil, pardon the bad english!

Hi Luis and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up immediately. Enjoy your stay.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by Luís Fernando View Post
      [B] if someone knows a set of pre configured .psds of the most common printed stuff where I can open and start with everything already done, [/I]
      Photoshop is NOT a layout program. Photoshop is photo / image application.

You should NEVER use Photoshop to create layouts for print.

You should use Indesign or Illustrator to properly set up your documents for press.

Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Nice heads up, PanToshi! Thanks a million!
        Considering that this is the option I have at my disposal right now, it is possible to make it work anyways or scratch that and try to have acess to InDesign or Illustrator right away?

Comment

There are sites out there that will sell you Photoshop templates to use for things that photoshop should not be used for. Those are for the gullible and inexperienced who don't know what they are doing. Don't buy them. I feel really sorry for my brethren in the conventional print trades that have to deal with that crap on a daily basis.

Not only is Photoshop not a layout tool,
          300PPI and CMYK are a function of what you are having printed. Those aren't set-in-stone parameters.

As for how to set up documents for printing, decide before you design how the thing is being printed, then contact the print vendor that will be used and ask for artwork submission specs. Then READ them. Then FOLLOW them. Don't assume because you know how to do print setup for one printer that it is the same for the next guy. Different processes have different parameters.

Not only do you need to know how much trim bleed you need, you might want to know what your safeties are and if there are any areas that shouldn't have design on them (mailers are notorious for this.)

Good luck.
          Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-29-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Hahaha, thanks PrintDriver!

Looks like I have more questions to find answers then when I started the topic. Well, I think this is what learning is all about!

Comment

This is a printer in the US that has templates in AI, PS, ID and JPEG.
              http://www.gotprint.com/store/download-templates.html

You might also look on this page for instructions on how they like files prepared. I think it's a good explanation of the issues.
              http://www.gotprint.com/store/preparing-files.html

This will give you an idea of what is going on, but keep in mind the printers in your area may have different requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo View Post
                This is a printer in the US that has templates in AI, PS, ID and JPEG.
                Templates (which are basically targets/boxes for unskilled people to visually be able to constrain their content within) are meant to be placed in the proper layout software for print. They can indeed be in any of the above listed formats, but that does not mean that photoshop is meant for the creation of signs, brochures, posters, business cards, booklets, flyers, etc.

Why bother to learn the SOP for anything? May as well just tell folks to build furniture with a spoon. SMH. Great, now this thread has given me a splitting headache.
                /rant
                Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

If a designer can't see the difference in the end product or understand the reasons behind why photoshop is not a layout program, there is no help for them. I print whatever you send me. I'll ask questions until I'm sure it's what you want, but in the end, what comes out of the printer is your decision.

Not sure what part about raster four-color text isn't being understood.
                  Or that multipage design needs to be done in the proper layout program. Even Illustrator with its relatively new multiple artboards is NOT suited for multipage booklet type design. It's all about using the proper tool for the job. Sure, there are exceptions to any rule. I routinely run very large layouts created in Photoshop. But they are meant to be viewed at a distance of 30ft or more, not held in your hand. As B pointed out, image setters can do vector art and text at a much higher dot resolution, usually above 1000dpi. In photoshop, if you limit your text to 300PPI you are limiting the imagesetter to using all those thousands of ink dots to represent much larger square pixels. It basically boils down to the difference between DPI and PPI, which, it seems, most designers don't understand anymore. Not to mention the registration issues on 4-color text. Especially when the font size is small.

Someone in another thread was talking about a client sending multiple 'pages' in a photoshop file. I've had stuff like that sent to me. It all gets separated and dumped into a program, usually Indesign, that allows imposition and versatile cropping and proper output parameters. Then the client gets charged for system time. Once told to do so, any effort by the printer to make something printable is billable time. I wish I was paid what we charge for system time. It's 4x my hourly.

Also can't quite figure out how someone can go through a graphic design school program and not learn this stuff. It's becoming painfully obvious that these things aren't being taught. Lately, I have students come to me who have never heard of Pantone books and know of Indesign but have never used it. About 30% of my clients now send files with no bleed.
                  <shrug>
                  Last edited by PrintDriver; 08-29-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright © 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                  Working...
                  X