Business card printing help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business card printing help

Here are some business cards I'm designing for myself. I've been looking into thermographic printing to give the cards some extra umph and I have some questions concerning such.

My first thought was to have this printing on some thick "midnight blue" cardstock, probably something around 19pt. If this is too expensive considering the printing process and thermographic ink, I'll opt to have it done on white stock and choose to do the white front version instead.

On the back of the card, I was planning on doing the little dots and the "Z" in raised ink.

Any thoughts on problems I may run into or things that may not be possible concerning thermographic printing?

Are some of the dots too small for raised ink?

Can I achieve the colors I am hoping for with this technique?

If I can do the blue cardstock, will white text be a problem?

Thanks,

Zach

PS. I realize this isn't 3.5x2" I slightly enlarged it for better viewing.
    Back Front option 1 Front Option 2

There is a digital thermographic process, I'm not sure I've ever seen it - but you'd have to source a printers with that.

SCODEX is also nice for digital runs.

You should ask your print provider the questions about dots being too small - only they can tell you - as they have the machines and can do samples.

Your cards look really nice.

You don't want to overcomplicate them - but having 500 or 1000 with a really nice finish to impress clients would be an idea. And simpler sets of cards for day to day.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I've worked closely with a thermography printer for quite a few years now. I'm sure they are not all the same, but I think a 19pt stock could be an issue. Our printer generally does 80# media day in and day out. To increase the thickness to 100# is a drastic price increase - 19pt may not even be an option.

Your dot matrix on the back should be fine. Just keep in mind as a halftone it's not going to be quite as raised as you may like. It still should create a nice texture on the card however.

Also keep in mind everything will need to be spot colored. Process Blue should be an acceptable standard color for your type and that will keep costs down. A custom PMS blue will increase cost.

If you're using a blue card stock, Neenah makes some really nice blues, however your white type will need to be ran as a second color. So your looking at a 2 over 1 job. Not the cheapest business cards around, but they should look quite nice if printed properly.

Lastly, Hank above is correct in there being new digital 'thermo' options out there. Could be more affordable also - but I doubt blue 19pt card stock will be an option. or white ink for that matter.

Comment

Thermography has a soft, rubbery quality to it, which could work out nicely for the dotted background pattern. For the typography and the Z, I'm not so sure it'll give you the clean look that you're after. That Z would look really sharp if it were foil stamped, but the cost can add up on these things awfully fast.

I don't typically recommend online printers, but for business cards, I make an exception. Most any printer can print normal business cards, but there are some specialized printing procedures that are quite common in higher-end business cards (like combining thermography, embossing, foil, die cuts and edge printing, for example). These things can add up to a small small fortune at a normal printer, but can be done rather inexpensively at an online printer set up specifically for this kind of work. A Google search will locate a few of the bigger specialty business card printers.

Comment

First of all, thanks for the help everyone!

I'm not completely sold on thermographic, it was just an idea to get make the card catch the eye a little more. I'm always open to other ideas if you guys have any in this area! I would dig the look of foil on the Z, as B mentioned, as long as it could match my color closely. I'm trying to keep my identity quite consistent... Not sure I would want to afford a two process print with foil and thermo, but you never know... I like the idea of having two types of cards if one of the cards costs $2 a pop, ha.

I've been talking to a printer here in Denver, but he is taking forever to respond to my emails so I'll keep looking around... I was considering using Moo.com as an online printer. They are a tad more expensive than some of the other guys but I find it easier to get my design ideas across on their intuitive platform. Vistaprint and others are a UX nightmare (Business opportunity?)

Do you guys have any online printers you trust for this type of thing? Or maybe a local printer you trust and could refer me to?

Thanks again,

Zach

Comment

Almost all of my accounts are wholesale at this point. I've been in the print and graphics industry long enough to make connections at just about every trade printer in my area. I could get you a quote I suppose.

Take a look at Silkcards.com if you want to see some amazing looking cards. They'll set you back about $1 a card at the wholesale price

Comment

Forget about moo and vista print - from my experience it wasn't a great experience.

Go to local printers and talk to them. If someone isn't getting back to you then you need to move on.

But do visit local printers in your area and talk to them. You'll find someone that you like meeting face to face and that can do your cards for you.

Comment

I'm hesitant to recommend specific vendors, but, SilkcardsPRO.com, like Biggs mentioned, and PremiumCards.net make some very impressive cards. Both also have samples you can order, which look as good in person as they do on their website. If I remember right, their samples are free.

If you use them, you might need to alter what you want done in a way that accommodates their specialized processes, but the end result can be worth giving up a bit of creative latitude for the sake of a really nice-looking end product.

Comment

How about Scodix? I think, they do have amazing and quality prints and a 3D effects.

Comment

Originally posted by viewpoint View Post
                    How about Scodix? I think, they do have amazing and quality prints and a 3D effects.
                    Yes I mentioned that originally.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
                      Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
                      PanToshi
                      Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                      Today, 03:46 PM
                    • PanToshi
                      Reply to Looking for comments
                      PanToshi
                      Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
                      Today, 03:46 PM
                    • PanToshi
                      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                      PanToshi
                      Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
                      Today, 03:40 PM
                    • HotButton
                      Reply to Flyer Crtitique
                      HotButton
                      There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
                      Today, 03:36 PM
                    • pobrien
                      Flyer Crtitique
                      pobrien
                      Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
                      Today, 01:12 PM
                    GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                    Working...
                    X