Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleed problem! Image to the edge

Hello,

I'm sorry if I am repeating the same topic, but I haven't found a clear answer no matter how much I 've searched. If there is a similar topic, I would appreciate it if you could send the link.
    So, I am creating a document for print in InDesign and I put 3mm bleed when I set up the document. Wherever I searched I read that if you have an image on the edge of the paper and you don't want a white border, you need to extend the image until the edge, so including the bleed area. I understand that this is needed, but this means that you will lose 3 mm information of the photo. So, what should I do if I want the image until the edge of the page, with no white border, but I need all the information of the picture?

Thanks a lot in advance. Every information would be useful.

You already understand the reason for the bleed, which is that trimming the printed paper can sometimes be a bit off, and those extra 3mm or 1/8" provides a little wiggle room to ensure that, like you said, you don't have blank paper along the edge where the photo ends. What you might not be considering is that because the trimming can sometimes be off, it can also cut into the page 3mm or so in the other direction. The bottom line is that you never want anything of critical importance to butt right up against the edge.

There's really no way around this reality, and you need to design your printed materials accordingly. When I've run into similar problems when cropping a tight photo, sometimes it's been possible to use Photoshop to clone in some extra sky or background or whatever. Sometimes it's possible to isolate a small strip along the edge and stretch it out a bit. Sometimes, it just won't work and you either need to face up to the facts or take a gamble on the printer hitting trim marks just right.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your response. It was really helpful. I was trying to extend the background to the bleed area, when this was possible, but some other times the images are more busy and it doesn't work right. I just thought that this was not the "professional" way of doing it, so I was looking for a more experienced person to advise me. Thanks a lot agian.

Comment

What B says.
        Don't forget your safety as well as your bleed.
        Printing/finishing is never an exact science.

Comment

It is quite impossible to cut a stack of paper exactly on the trim marks. Apart from the accuracy of the cut, which can be problematic, there are other factors;

- if printed on a digital press, these machines don't always feed accurately
          - if the stack isn't knocked up absolutely to the grip edge
          - if the guillotine blade isn't absolutely sharp it can 'drag' the stack away as it cuts
          - if left for more than an hour or so on a damp day the paper can 'grow' by 2-3mm (more for a big sheet)

For a folded booklet all these factors are magnified, even without mentioning 'creep'.

It only takes a fraction of a millimetre of white down an edge to be noticeable. I've seen a 100k print run rejected by the customer for this. Printers need a bit of leeway or 'wiggle room' as B says or the job is effectively unprintable.
          Last edited by StudioMonkey; Yesterday, 06:39 AM.
          Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

You can also extend the photo edge in photoshop on the side of the bleed. Meaning you can use the clone stamp tool to extend the bleed.
            Harris Brown
            Graphic Designer

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
              Reply to Graphic Design Portfolio
              B
              Graphic design almost always centers around a point, and that point usually has to do with influencing a target audience. Attractiveness -- as in looking good -- is typically more effective in doing that...
              Today, 01:50 PM
            • KitchWitch
              KitchWitch
              Hi AJ and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
              Today, 01:26 PM
            • PrintDriver
              PrintDriver
              A student of design these days needs to do everything possible to be working in the industry. Internships and part time work. You need to get experience to get ahead out there. Internships are usually...
              Today, 12:56 PM
            • HotButton
              HotButton
              In my opinion, work that's simply attractive won't necessarily lower the value of your portfolio, but you would come off as a much better candidate (for anything) if the pieces you show are accompanied...
              Today, 11:32 AM
            • Craig B
              Reply to Need some advice from Graphic Designers working in the industry
              Craig B
              I will say (and it's not a guarantee, but it can help), if you live in a big enough metroplex, sign up with a placement agency. Our company has used Aquent and Creative Circle. We've hired on contractors...
              Today, 11:22 AM
            GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
            Working...
            X