X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PrintDriver,
    Where is a good place to begin learning about large-format printing and printers [equipment]? I don't do much large-scale kind of work right now, except tradeshow booths and banners, but I'd certainly like to.

Books, trade pubs, mags, websites? Any direction would be greatly appreciated

Thx
    Why I didn't Make it to the Olympics| Time For Some Campaignin'

Comment

we use a mutoh and our media is up to 64". maybe I'm reading this wrong, but we do these jobs all the time, we print on gloss and use adhesive to put on substrate.
      My Site

Comment

We use Scitex (Now HP) TurboJets, print on Self-Adhesive and mount. They print 64" as well.
        Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Anything that involves an overlam is too expensive.

These were not naked waterbase HP's. They may have been some type of solvent process on vinyl mounted to bristol board but I'm not sure. The mounts were too clean. It looked and felt an awful lot like glossy card stock - and probably gang run and machine chopped. The print resolution was wicked high though. It had to be at least 1200. It wasn't 600, I can spot those without a loupe.

I'm still waiting for the opportunity to ask the client where he got em.

Comment

Man, I haven't heard of anything like that. If/When you find out, let me know. My curiosity is running on high now.
            Let me see you make decisions without your televisions.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

maybe flat bed? Our new flat bed prints pretty big with great detail.
              My Site

Comment

Flatbeds don't have the resolution yet for type under oh, say, 18 points. And you can see the ink dotlets from 3 feet. Well, I can anyway.

I have to wait for the designer to pay us a visit. Could be a while. I'm still thinking cheap gang run somewhere in NYC or Florida though.

Comment

Originally posted by jimking
                  PrintDriver, I'm not aware of a 40" digital press. Even if there was, printing on coated paper I think still would not give it that glossy look because of the ink laid down. Unless the ink has a glossy look to it perhaps. Offset would be expensive too with the short counts. There are offset presses that image plates on the cylinder but still there's make ready time and such. Maybe they're farming it out to China or Mexico.
                  Or to India or Dubai.

We do a lot of our printing in Dubai (from Africa, would you believe?). And recently a friend of mine took art work for invites to his wedding to be printed in India. Much cheaper.
                  Purity and simplicity... and ubuntu.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.
                  - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X