Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Comment on How well do you see color? (fun & games)
    PanToshi
    o, it's timed? ahh. I was playing while munching on cookies... cookies won.
    Today, 07:00 PM
  • HotButton
    Reply to Help with logo "fynch"
    HotButton
    I think the egg- with-legg concept has potential too. I'd experiment with switching up the fill though...leave the legs/talons color-filled, and the egg unfilled/outlined.
    Today, 06:48 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Friend as a client - problem
    PanToshi
    It would indeed reflect poorly on you, and threats of physical "stuff" would indeed be criminal. Your frustration doesn't justify retaliative or illegal reactions....
    Today, 06:14 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Comment on Friend as a client - problem
    kemingMatters
    All of the stuff you created is single purpose, so the only thing you would be achieving is making yourself look inept.
    Today, 05:49 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Getting logged out
    PanToshi
    Do you check the "remember me" box at sign in? If not, try that. Without that checked (only accesible on log in) I get logged out in a matter of minutes.
    Today, 05:47 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page arrangement for book signatures

What software will arrange pages for the bookbinder once the number of leaves per signature is decided? Can Indesign do it? Quark? Is there a utility that does it or do you work it all out and rearrange the pages by yourself?

Are you a printer? Is this something the printer is requesting you to do?
    WYSIWYG

Comment

I'm not a printer, my bookbinder has a colour laser and told me he could print the book for me. He wasn't very helpful on the phone about arranging the pages so I thought I'd find out about the subject. I bet there are printers out there who do this all the time.

Comment

You can impose in InDesign but you need to talk again to the Bookbinder and see what size he wants it. Does he want 2pg spreads or does he want it set up as 16pg or 8pg. 2pg would be simple but it gets more complicated when you increase the number. If it is a binder job it sounds like each page will be cut seperately, not perfect bound or saddle stitched, correct? Will the pages go into a ringed binder? Are there bleeds on the pages?
        WYSIWYG

Comment

Originally posted by arnoldthepotter
          I bet there are printers out there who do this all the time.
          I bet there are. I'm a printer. Jimking is a printer. Most printers with press rooms would rather do the imposition themselves. You need to know the bindery technique. The weight of the paper (thickness). If it's coil bound or perfect bound, thickness doesn't matter. If it's saddlestitched, size DOES matter. I don't think jim was being flip about his answer, just that we hate to see people bring in jobs all paginated and can't be used. I will some day have a t-shirt that says "CALL YOUR PRINTER FIRST" enblazened across the front.

Sorry, it must be Friday. Please, call around, give the printer what they need. The prepress guy (ME) will respect you for calling ahead.
          People tell me "Have a Good One!' Hell, I already have a good one, I just need a BIGGER one! - George Carlin

Comment

Now I've had to refer to a glossary and I think I used the wrong term earlier, they are called sections aren't they? And imposition is the arrangement? This is for a craft binding, a one off for a book my daughter wrote. Doesn't the number of pages in a section depend on the weight of the paper? No doubt the bookbinder will have a preference once the paper is chosen.
            The Indesign printing dialog looks complicated but the word imposition isn't in plain sight.

Comment

I call them signatures. Yes, Imposition is the arrangement of the pages. You really need to talk to this person because of the way it's going to bind. Craft binding could be a way the sheet folds down, then bound, then trimmed, or it could be that it does not fold first but instead the pages are cut down into single pages, colated and then bound. You need to know this before you procede. Because it has everything to do with arrangement. Plus does any image cross over the paste board? (bleed)
              Last edited by jimking; 08-11-2006, 02:09 PM.
              WYSIWYG

Comment

Thanks Jimking and Rickself, I'll drop in and have a chat with him.

Comment

For the record, yes there are plugins for both InDesign and Acrobat that handle impositions, but in nearly 99% of cases, the offset printer prefers to do this himself.

As for digital laser outputting-- that's a bit different.

Almost all print shops, big and small, now use RIPs that easily handle basic imposition tasks for these units.

What about in-house runs? I've developed a few 'one-sheet' imposition templates that I use on our 11 x 17 laser. For instance, I just did an 16 page 'pocket booklet' (4 x 5 inches) this week using one of these and it's practically instant to use. All I did was create the accurate layout (with proper trim marks, margins, centering, bleed allowance, etc.) on a full sheet template file and placed a 16 page 'dummy' PDF file in the right order for each side. Then when I have my content ID file (page size 4 x 5) ready, I export it as a PDF to replace the dummy that's linked to the layout template. Update the link, and voila, instant imposition. As long as I export to replace the original linked dummy file, that's all I need do for the next job that fits this spec.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                  Working...
                  X