X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pms Spot Color Number

I am a student at Parsons and I need to figure out a spot color number for something to send to the printers. Since I am a student I do not have my pantone books yet, and I cannot figure out how to find this in illustrator.

Is there any way to get this without having a pantone book?

Below is the Pantone swatch I have from my illustrator library.

Thank you!!!
    Attached Files

What are you looking for? the DS pantone colors in Illy? Or the conversion of that to a coated PMS color?

I get PMS 5473 C when I look it up in PS. *shrugs*
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Well

To be honest I am not completely sure.

I originally sent that swatch to the printer and he wrote back saying he needed the: "PMS Spot Color Number"

I think what you found was right!!!!! How did you find it?

Comment

Open the picture in PS, click on the color selector, select the color of it, open the color picker window, select the color libraries button, select the pantone book you want and it'll tell you the color.

Of course this is ONLY a guesstimate of the PMS number. When printed it could vary significantly if your not careful!
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

You don't have pantone books at your schools facility you can use? Hmm...yep i'd do what CK suggested then....

Though, when i did what CK did, I got Pantone 7474C which will give u a nice turquoise green-blue...

a match on my screen though, by eye...its close to a 7468 C...
          | Valerie |
          "Make sure the fortune that you seek is the fortune that you need"
          -Ben Harper

Comment

Is this a 1 colour spot job? If so, just set the job up in 1 colour (e.g. black) and then take a trip to your printer and have a look at their swatch book. Pick a colour and let them know to ink up the black plate with that colour.

Please do not pick a spot from your screen preview. Sometimes they are close, but more often than not, they are miles away and if you tell your printer that the final product is not what you thought it would look like from the screen preview, you will get laughed out the door.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I like Budafist's suggestion.

Wow, I can't believe that Parsons doesn't have Pantone books.
              Columbus, Ohio is not off the map.

Comment

Parsons should do have Pantone books for their PR/Communications dept., but not for student usage. BTW, the above color Pantone DS 242-1 C is out of Pantone's process coated swatch... why didn't you used spot swatch in the first place? was the job a pickup from someone else? Buda's suggestion works if your job is 1-C and not complex in design.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X