Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Namibia
    Reply to business card design
    Namibia
    I will show you some updates. 2 variations.

The orange is on both sides of cards.
    I chose 10 QR code, because in it is Vcard.
    Companys name is on other side of card...
    Today, 05:08 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    PrintDriver
    If someone pulls a prank, they're the arse. Glad my boss doesn't take kindly to pranks. We have fun, of course, but anything that costs the company money? Not so much.
    Yesterday, 11:18 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to New design lover here
    Buda
    Welcome Sasa.
    Yesterday, 10:13 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Buda
    I agree, the borders are too heavy.

Don't stretch the text. Use it at 100% scale only.

Personally, I don't think you need vertical lines at all. Just horizontal rules would...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Buda
    The back and the front look like branding for two completely different businesses.

What pt size is your contact details? It looks a bit too small from here. I wouldn't go under 8pt. You might...
    Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printing envelopes in-house

so i've got a customer that wants us to go on the cheap and print their 9x12 envelopes in-house, on our xerxo docucolor 250. they can't decide how many to order commercially, meanwhile, they have orders stacking up that they need to send out.

my question is, is the gum/glue on a standard box of envelopes going to activate or muck-up once it hits the fuser? i know it might be ok for a few, but what happens once the fuser really heats up?

against my better judgement, i ran some of those "pull tap and stick" envelopes, with the flap tucked in just in case, and it crinkled the corner, even though i had the printer set to the thickest stock setting.

nevermind the fact that the printer doesn't seem to have any presets for any envelopes -- it says on the xerox site that it doesn't print envelopes -- and further, that i'm using a custom size.

i'm just curious if anyone knows what'll happen to the adhesive.

thanks in advance.
    Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

If it doesn't print envelopes then you won't have a setting low enough not to melt the glue. I dunno, maybe the tab will save them. What happens when you print with the flap out?

Comment

When I tried it on a 2060 a few years ago with the flaps down, it sealed
      the envelopes. After seeing that I didn't try with them open. It might
      work if ran on the lightest stock setting, but you'll be screwed if there's
      much coverage or screening involved with the art. If you really have to try
      it, place a service call first, so they're already on the way in the event
      of the works getting gummed up. the lighter stock setting will fuse with
      less heat if I remember correctly.

Comment

good points, both. thanks much. i wasn't thinking that the lighter stock would have the lower fuser setting. my brain must be off today. thanks for correcting me.

just for the sake of argument, then, probably the best way -- if you absolutely have to print them in house, would be inkjet, right? no heat, straighter paper path, etc.

Comment

You could do it inkjet but remember that inkjet turns into a horrible mess when it gets wet.

I have received letters before printed on inkjet sitting in envelopes also printed on inkjet. It had been raining heavily that day. Needless to say, all the ink got washed off the envelope and the letter!
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I have a Bizhub c500 that tells me it won't print envelopes. And it won't. I tried every conceivable way. My C450 says it does and it does! It's the "envelope" setting that you need to keep the fuser cooler. What about and HP laserjet? Do you have one of those lying around?

Comment

good point, buda.

yeah, we've got an HP but the color's off enough to make it clash heavily with the more accurate xerox and fiery combo. i was hoping to avoid it.

we may just end up printing mailing labels. it'd look so much better with an actual printed envelope, but we may not have an option.

Comment

You can get creative with labels! And depending on the company, you could always use rubber stamps. Rubber stamps are great for companies with a "green" focus. They look so earthy and handmade, it's quite refreshing.
                It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

oooo, good idea! you rock! thanks!

Comment

Rubber stamps are cheap to make too about $25 a stamp last time I checked and you can use different inks depending on the occasion. Like red and green for Christmas etc.

Comment

that's a great suggestion. i'll see if i can get the higher ups to buy it. thanks!

Comment

I have a rubber stamp... its not a custom made one, jsut a pick and place letter set one... it's my favouritist invention ever! The walls are covered, as was I when I first got it... £7.00 from the supermarket! Hours of fun

Comment

The rubber stamp idea sounds really good to me. We tried printing onto envelopes a year or two ago. Every single printer either crinkled the envelope or the envelope got stuck in the paper path. We tried it out on 4 or 5 different printers. Almost every one of them were supposed to print envelopes.

Comment

buda nailed it. Either laser labels or rubber stamps...both are much cheaper than the service call on the docucolor!
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X