Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to Retail vs Contract Pricing
    <b>
    Are you the designer, the printer, the merchant or all of them? A designer doesn't typically base fees on the number that will be printed. A printer, on the other hand, does do that. Even when a designer...
    Today, 10:23 PM
  • cdgc
    Retail vs Contract Pricing
    cdgc
    Looking for some input on this matter.

Many years ago we published a map for railroad enthusiasts that was 1/1 black and folded several times into 3.5" by 9". Nothing all that...
    Today, 09:28 PM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Are you able to read the text?
    Kayekaye
    Better photo, but flip it so the eye travels left to right. Having on the left side it kind of stops the eye there.

Have you not learned about line lengths? This is about 88 characters long....
    Today, 09:14 PM
  • sketxz!
    Reply to BEST COMPUTER CONFIGURATION FOR GRAPHIC DESIGNERS?
    sketxz!
    So I got the new SSD and it's amazing. It fits in the palm of my hand but so much speed compared to my old one. Here's some graphs of before and after (keep in mind it was a buggy 5 year old drive):...
    Today, 08:43 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    <b>
    It's an interesting-looking graphic, but for the reasons already mentioned, it doesn't really meet the usual requirements of a logo. I'm not a big fan of Lobster either, but that's just me.
    Today, 08:37 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add a blue shiner under black?

I have been sent some artwork which is gray scale (solid black background and B/W images) They want to make the black deeper buy adding a blue shiner to bring out the black.

My question is how do you set this in indesign so it is a 2 colour print?

Appreciate any help.

Open photoshop and change it to CMYK mode and a blue bump into your black.
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Blue Shiner?

Comment

I THINK he is referring to a black bump / kicker (40, 0, 0, 100)
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Heh heh, I'm sure you're right, just never heard it called that before.

I think you would want to separate the background first and only apply it to that. It could cause some funky looking problems in the photos otherwise. You could do it all in ID too. Just change the black background color to 100K and whatever &#37; cyan

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
            Blue Shiner?
            I was thinking they wanted to make it look like the Tareyton commercials.

Comment

Put a 40 or 50&#37; cyan below the the black area in InDesign. Black is set to overprint, so having the cyan below the black will bring out the black more.

Or add 50% cyan to the black in photoshop (as said in earlier)

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

It almost sounds like he want to run this as two plates. A blue spot-under with black overprint?

Comment

^^^ That's what I got too.

Why would he want to take it to PS and rastorize it? I assume since it is done in InDesign that the black background is just a filled black box. Just make it a two color rich black.

Comment

Here's a screen shot

Click to make bigger

So basically the black can come out with a neutral looking colour if just used on it's own - it's not really black but a mish mash of the colour in the background (because inks are transparent not opaque, and black is always set to overprint where it just prints the black right on top of the colour behind it (in this case red), where the other option would be to use a knockout for the black (undesireable) basically the shape that the black area covers there would be no ink printed behind it, so the black prints on white paper instead of ink, then you have to worry about getting the right trapping for it so it's troublesome to knockout black).

You can control the shade of the colour, in cool, warm, or rich black (really deep black).

In the example the background is red so the Normal one looks the same as the Warm Black one because I used a warm mix of magenta and yellow with the black (it's similar) but using different colour backgrounds you get different results for the Normal.

Cool Black is a mixture of cyan comes out cold looking, I wouldn't use that for a sunny magazine where you need black text

And then the Really rich deep black, I wouldn't use that where there was small sized type knocking out the black (because it would be very hard to register the colour type (print one on top of the other http://www.claudiamccue.com/2009/03/...-registration/

Typically I'd go with the CYAN because blue has the widest em range and therefore better on the eye than say the red or orange black because that's a narrower em field.

So there ya go
                    Last edited by hank_scorpio; 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

To put it into practice! That's the key isn't it?

Well below is another screen shot and it's a bit wild but it illustrates the problem with just using normal black instead of a mixed swatch like I did earlier (see post #10 here http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...1&postcount=10)

Notice the difference in the blacks as it hits the white area - and notice the background colour when on the image. I used the same percents as the first time around.
                      Last edited by hank_scorpio; 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Be careful with that white blockout text; depending on the size of the type, any slight misregistration's going to look pretty funky.

As for a giving a blue shiner, I would recommend a sock full of quarters. Bag of lemons would probably work well too.
                        "The 20th Century is the shudder that announces the approaching cataracts of time over which our species and the destiny of this planet is about to be swept." -Terence McKenna

Comment

I think the misregistration would only matter on smaller type sizes, which I covered in post #10 too

Comment

Originally posted by doctorsax13 View Post
                            be careful with that white blockout text; depending on the size of the type, any slight misregistration's going to look pretty funky.

As for a giving a blue shiner, i would recommend a sock full of quarters. Bag of lemons would probably work well too.
                            rofl! :d

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X